Kiss me?

The line suddenly starts to move quickly as though P'Arthit has really had enough.

From his position between Tew and Maprang, Kongpob can see the head hazer's face and notes that he's not even letting some of the young women speak before he barks out a "No!"

It's almost as though he's rushing to get through the line and Kongpob starts to wonder about Maprang's suggestion that he intends to choose someone during this lunch break. It doesn't seem likely the way he's behaving. It's more likely that he'll turn them all down and escape to his next lesson where he can finally be left alone.

In front of him, Tew is still attempting to get Oak to speak with him, but the other boy won't get off his phone and eventually, Tew gives up.

"Hey Kong, are we doing the right thing here? I mean, it's probably going to be a bit embarrassing asking P'Arthit if we can kiss him, right?"

Kongpob grins at his friend, "Yes, Tew, it probably is. I mean, he is P'Arthit and he takes a sadistic pleasure in seeing us suffer. But.. I won't let it embarrass me. We are doing it to support our friend after all."

"Okay, Kong. I guess at least we can say we were in it to support Oak and Maprang. It's not like either of us actually want to kiss him!"

Kongpob coughs into his hand and turns away.

The line moves faster and faster until at last, Tew is elbowing Oak in his ribs and pointing out that he's almost the next one.

His friend reacts calmly, which is still a surprise to Tew, and then steps up behind Prae who is straightening out her uniform and flicking her hair in preparation.

But as she steps up to the line, P'Arthit takes a quick glance and softly says, "No thanks, sorry Nong Prae."

Before P'Bright can even start offering his commiserations, Prae speaks over him.

"But P'Arthit! You asked for my number that time.."

Arthit just offers her a frown and P'Knott steps forward.

"Remember the rules Nong Prae, Arthit's already said no." She nods sadly and allows him to lead her away.

And then.. there is Oak.

Surprisingly, when Oak steps up to the line, P'Arthit cocks his head and waits patiently.

"P'Arthit," Oak begins, grinning widely as he looks at the other man, "I would like to kiss you."

There's pin drop silence in the canteen as the entire freshman year, as well as a substantial portion of the second and third years, lean in as one to await Arthit's answer.

Instead of a barrage of yells or an immediate refusal, Arthit stands up behind the bench.

Then he smiles genuinely at Oak and speaks in a voice which carries across the space, "Nong Oak, thank you for your request. Thank you for being brave and willing to ask me this question. While I appreciate your invitation," Oak splutters loudly into his fist at the suggestion, "I am not interested in kissing you."

The crowd around the canteen start breathing again and pockets of chattering start to break out. Until P'Arthit speaks again and the room is silent once more.

"However, I am an equal opportunities head hazer, and I wouldn't dissuade other young men from asking me." He finishes, winking at Oak, Tew and Kongpob in turn.

The entire space erupts into noise and Oak turns to offer his friends a wide grin. Around the room a few of the guys start to make a move towards the back of the queue that still stretches across the canteen.

Tew turns to Kongpob and they share a terrified look. Then Maprang speaks over the noise, "No way, P'Arthit! Now I've got to fight against double the opposition!" She stamps her foot as Arthit simply offers her a smile.

"He didn't say no to you yet," Prae says as she comes to stand beside her friend, "Not like he refused me! I didn't even get to ask!"

"A reminder, Praepaillin, you told us that you only like girls!"

"Still.. I should have been able to ask.. what was that whole thing about where he asked me for my number?"

"Let it go!" Maprang insists, stamping her foot. "Now look, it's Tew's turn!"

But just as Tew steps forward, the buzzer sounds for the start of classes and P'Arthit rises from his chair, whispering in Knott's ear.

P'Knott leaps onto the table and yells above the din, "We'll be back during the last break and if you want to ask Arthit for a kiss, that will be your last chance, so be quick! And, we'll be starting with.. Class president Nong Tew! Followed by the hazer's absolutely favourite junior, soon soon hock song! See you all then!"

Tew gives Kongpob a sickly grin as the crowd disperses and Kong finds that he has to drag his friend over to their next lesson as he seems to be in some kind of haze.

"Come on Tew, you heard P'Knott. It's not just you.. it's both of us!"