Ataraxia

(n

(n.) A state of serene calmness

Genevieve was sitting under the shade of the palm tree within the garden, having to grow used to heat by now, she spent some of her free time drawing whatever came to mind.

She drawn the scenery around her, she drawn people that she met. As she was drawing, something small crept up to her lap, making her lift her sketchbook to see the white cat with a golden collar.

It mewled in greetings before kneading the young woman's thighs then settled itself there with a yawn.

Genevieve smiled briefly at the cat before returning to her work. Hearing footsteps approaching, she craned her neck to see Anubis, "Anubis, come sit next to me!" She beamed at the boy who settled himself next to her to peer at the drawing.

His eyes lit up in awe, marveling the technique and the realistic scenery.

"Do you think you'll color it?" he whispered, the mortal girl chuckled softly, but the tone of it was solemn. "I wish, but I don't have any coloring materials.."

The boy stared at her, even for a boy, he was all too wise to know what that look was. He saw it in all the servants who were brought in by his father.

Homesickness

Anubis lowered his gaze, turning back to the scenery as the sun began to reach it's highest peak.

The two wandered retreated to the shades to avoid being scorched by the sunlight as both were fairly pale.

After returning indoors, Genevieve trailed off to her sleeping quarters, planning to stay in her room for the rest of the day. She couldn't use her phone here due to lack of reception in this "stone aged" era she currently resides in.

Boredom was inevitable to a modern person like her. Drawing everyday would grow to be tiring later on in her life, but it helped her practice, but even then, her supplies is slowly dwindling.

But god she missed home. The dark brown haired girl curled up on the bed, the empty feeling growing worse.

Hot tears dripped from her eyes, why was she sent here? What purpose did it serve in sending her here?

"Are you.. Crying?" a voice called out from outside below the window, "what.. hic.. What does it matter.." Genevieve replied from her spot, sucking in a breath as she wiped the tears away hurriedly.

"... Well sorry for asking. You're probably ugly when you cry." Sarcasm was evident in their tone that the mortal girl huffed in anger.

The two bantered on until the sky turn pink and orange.

"I should get going now, I have work to do other than babysitting a crybaby." Despite their words, Genevieve felt, happy.

"Thank you.." But the voice never responded.

The feeling of peace washed over her, feeling relieved, the energy spent on crying and talking had instantly put her to sleep.

-----

The sound of footsteps resounded across the sandstone floors, red eyes staring ahead while red locks of hair swayed with every step they took.

Remembering the conversation they had with the woman, they felt irritated, but when the sun dipped, dying the sky orange, he peeked over the window seeing the child smile.

Her long dark brown hair fell over her form like a waterfall, eyes closed and slightly swollen from crying, her nose and cheeks flushed as well, but she smiled.

They felt their lips lift into a small smile before he slapped his mouth, shocked by the fact they smiled at someone other than their family.

Despite the inner demons battling, he felt calm. Perhaps the girl can stay longer...