The Publishing Party

Lucy finally decided to the read the book. She knew it was unfair to judge this particular book by the cover. And although as comfortable as it matter, she powered through the chapters. The beginning was rough to read because most of it was held for face value. She was a broken crazy girl and Jess was there to save her. 

But as the story went on she noticed that she felt more of him actually speaking through the chapters. Things she never thought she heard him say. 

She continued reading the book almost nonstop throughout the week. 

"Beneath this stunned yet strong-willed girl, was one willing for a second chance at life. But who was this guy-this kid-to give it to her. He'd surely ruin it before it was even started. But he looked at her eyes and there was his answer. He had to. And deep down he wanted to." she read the tantalizing text, "As he lifted her back into the boat, her body shaking and frozen like a supermarket fish, the boy couldn't help but wonder what to do. Where do they go from here. No doubt by the way that the girl was shivering as a shell of herself, she was wondering the same thing."

All that? He could tell all that from just a look? Lucy thought. 

"As he pulled them both back to shore, he knew that her side wasn't going to be left to chill like the rest of her freezing body. He was going to stay with her as long as it took."

Lucy recalled that day. Being pulled back to shore on that old boat from the lake, was much like being pulled back to a better reality. Quite literally a second chance at life. And it was because of Jess. 

"He felt guilty for staying longer than was expected. But at the same time this boy had an obligation to help her. Not because she was a sad broken, somewhat confused, girl. But because he realized as well the debt he had to her for pulling him out of his own lake."

Lucy froze afraid to read further.

"Countless times has this girl pulled him from  the days where he felt the most worthless. Asking nothing in return. From day one this girl had taken one look at him and decided that this was going to be a friendship she wanted to invest her time in. And what's more? She actually helped him. She helped him see his worth when he was sure it wasn't there. Most people try and look for a good thing where there isn't, and he was surely convinced she was another one in that line. Low and behold though, this girl was able to bring his worth into the light. She had found passion where he feared it was dead. And now--"

Lucy turned the page quickly.

"He had a chance to the do the same. To this half frozen dead girl. Through all of his crisis she was going through her own, dying on the inside. And here, he had a chance to save her or let her continue drowning. It was no competition in his head what he had decided. He wanted to save her. But what would follow afterwards he wasn't sure what. When they came back to the shore, back to real life, what would become of their friendship? What would become of her. He was too afraid to lose her now that he realized their calling to each other. Would he be enough her? Unfortunately they couldn't just stay in their little world on the boat any longer unless they wanted to accept death. So he took his paddles and rowed back to shore with her." 

Lucy blinked finishing the last page. She breathed uneasily and sniffed; just realizing she was crying. She closed the book and wiped her eyes quickly. She heard the door and looked up. Jess had walked into the apartment. She quickly got up and threw her arms around him. 

Jess stumbled back on impact; catching her so they both didn't fall over. "Hey-" he chuckled, "Did you miss me that much?"

"--I love you." she said.

He paused before looking down at her, "What?" his eyes were slightly wide.

She looked him in the eyes, "I love you." she breathed out. 

Jess slowly hugged her tightly his paled face hiding quietly on her shoulder. "Jess." she breathed out. "Yeah?" he sucked in. 

"I love you." 

"I heard." he said gently.

Lucy's heart dropped.