Chapter 4

Isobel's P. O. V:

The next morning, I enter the stables while wearing a long sleeved blue shirt and matching jumper and jodhpurs, and a set of crystal galloping horse jewellery.

I stand in the grassy arena as I watch Jade canter her chestnut gelding around, clearing jumps. Her horse had nicked a couple of poles but she was able to clear the final, high vertical easily. We'd been at this for a couple of hours now.

I smile as Jade finishes and brings her horse over to me. "Good job, Jade. If you give softer hands, your horse won't nick a pole. If you're not careful, you'll knock one off and lose points in competitions. We'll try an oxer one next time, but you did well today."

"Thank you, Izzy!" She says, grinning.

I pat her horse's muzzle as Pin calls, "Izzy!" I turn to see him with Pegasus. The gray gelding flicks his ears toward me, nickering happily. My smile fades at the sight of the Arabian.

"Pegasus is supposed to be in the field, Pin," I say sternly, not smiling. Pin's and Jade's own smiles fade. "Take him there now."

Pin hesitates, my horse lowering his head slightly as though in sadness. Pin murmurs, "Come on, boy." He then walks away with Pegasus to the field as I turn back to Jade.

"Izzy—" Jade begins, but I cut her off.

"Take your horse around the jumps again. Try to give softer hands," I say with a gesture to the jumps. Jade sighs sadly before turning her horse around and nudging him into a strong canter.

We continue this for another hour before I decide to call it a day. Jade said something about taking Becky, Ben and Bob down to the pier to get Pony Camp fees for tomorrow.

I head down the field where Pegasus is and climb up, perching on the gate. My conversation with Zoe from yesterday replays in my head.

Pegasus gazes back at me while munching on grass, his ears flicking forward. Tears leak down my cheeks as I remember the times before the accident and after, as well as that conversation.

Uncle Ben comes and joins me on the gate. He sees my expression and gives me a knowing smile.

Uncle Ben says, "Still not wanting to ride?"

I shake my head.

"I'm sure you will. Just as it's in your parent's blood to ride, it's in yours. You're a natural born rider, Izzy. It'll always be a part of you," Ben says.

"Every time I close my eyes or even pass by Pegasus here, in the yard, I still see myself in that accident. It haunts me in my sleep," I tell him.

"Perhaps it's trying to tell you something," Ben suggests.

"Like what?" I mutter.

"It's hard to say. But, sooner or later, you're going to have to overcome your fears," Says Ben. "You know you have people to help you, Izzy."