Just Like Cinderella [7]

As Caleb watched her go, he couldn't help the grin that spread across his face. She was something, he thought. Those startling amber eyes of hers, and the luscious cherry red lips a vivid contrast to the creamy white of what he could see of her face. It all made him defenseless against her allure. He had almost given to the urge to feel those lips with his when he stared into the mysterious depths of her eyes. Almost.

He didn't know what on earth had gotten into him. Maybe it was the punch, but he'd only taken a glass of the spiked drink since he knew he was driving home. Yet he felt lightheaded, had felt so right from the moment he saw her.

It had to be her. She was too charming, too gorgeous; he couldn't help the way he felt. When she'd stuttered earlier, sounding like he unnerved for some reason, he was sure her voice sounded familiar too. It still did, only much lower and inviting now as she had gotten more comfortable around him. It was a sexy ass voice, like a caress against his skin.

He was losing it, he decided. Hell if he gave a shit. She made such a picture in the blue gown, which enhanced her figure just enough to show a modest amount of smooth, porcelain skin. She reminded him of those princesses people only ever read about. Those enchanting, ethereal princesses that were said to exist only in fairytales. If only those liars were here to see this beauty.

He wanted to run after her, but bit back the urge, telling himself to be patient. He'd already promised to find her later, what was the rush? Except, he was finding it very hard to listen to reason.

"Wow, she's gorgeous."

The blunt observation came from his best friend, which was why he wasn't too upset. If it had been some other loser checking her out and he had the guts to say anything about her, there'd already be an ambulance on its way to the school. That was how crazy she made him. But it was only Asher, and while Asher could be a douchebag, he couldn't be so selfish as to chase another girl Caleb was interested in.

"Yeah, I know," Caleb sighed, still watching her. She was too far from him, he brooded. Did she have to move all the way to the other side of the room? She stood near the snack table, her head tilted back and her eyes closed as she tapped her foot to the beat of the music. He sucked in an awestruck breath, still finding it hard to believe that someone so beautiful existed.

"She also looks a little familiar," Asher said.

Caleb whipped his head to the side to scrutinize his best friend coldly. "One of your conquests?" He had to even force it out of his lips, unable to help his bitter tone.

He felt considerably better when Asher shook his head. "If she was, there's no way I'd forget her."

Asher wasn't exactly making things better. Caleb now eyed him suspiciously. Whoever she was, the girl was his. No one could make such a statement about her or consider such a thing. If she had a past before him, Caleb would make sure it stayed that way.

"I think she's someone I know from school," Asher continued, ignoring his best friend's glare. "At first I thought it was Josi Morales."

Caleb almost flinched, returning his gaze to the mysterious girl in blue. "Why?" he demanded quietly. He had nothing against Josi, quite the opposite in fact. But if it was Josi, things were about to get a heck lot complicated.

It couldn't. He was finding it hard to reconcile the shy wallflower he knew Josi to be to the stunningly sexy mystery in blue.