Just Like Cinderella [12]

First day of school after the dance," Megan commented ceremoniously as she got out of her car in the parking lot with Josi in tow. It was one of those days she picked Josi up and they both dropped Kitty May off before heading here.

"Please tell me everything is back to normal now," Josi pleaded as she stepped around the car to stand beside Megan. "No more blondes trying to knock me over, and no more suffocating flowers. Please no more flowers."

Megan laughed, locking her car. "Rest assured, no more of that. But something else has probably started. Gossip."

They walked into the hallway that moment and the noise amazed Josi. She couldn't remember the Monday after the dance being so disorganized during the past years. This was the only reason she asked Megan about it. "Is the gossip what's got everyone so worked up?"

"Yup. All everyone's talking about is the mysterious girl in blue who captured the attention of everyone at the dance." She gave Josi a pointed look.

Josi only groaned.

Megan chuckled, leading the way to her locker. "And that's not even the best part. They're saying she's the same girl Caleb's looking for."

This captured Josi's full attention. "What?"

"It's nothing big." But the strange glint in her eyes and the noisy teens around them said otherwise. "It's just that Caleb met a girl the other night. She didn't leave her name or anything he could use to find her. Or so they say, but I hear she did and he's only waiting for her to come forward and admit it. Anyway, he's been looking for a girl with her description, and since it matches the same girl in blue he danced with, they say it's her."

Josi rolled her eyes at the absurdity of it all. Her, plain old Josi, getting this much attention? "Ridiculous," she voiced out loud.

Megan made a disbelieving sound. "I don't think so. After all, they did dance together all night long, and won the Perfect Duo award."

"It wasn't all night long," Josi mumbled under her breath sourly.

Megan didn't mind her. "I think it's you, Josi. Caleb's looking for you."

Josi rolled her eyes again. "Impossible. I'm sure he found some other girl after I left. You left with me, remember? So maybe you didn't see her." Josi tried to ignore the weird, restless feeling she got at her own words. She told herself she was not jealous. Or sad. So what if she left and another girl immediately caught his eye? A girl like her could only dream of having Caleb, he was way out of her league. And if it really was her, she would just save him the disappointment of finding out it was her.

"But I went back, remember?" Megan said in the same tone as Josi. "And he spent the rest of the night brooding in a corner. Sure he spoke to Kehlani, and a couple other girls, but he hardly spent five minutes with them and they were the ones to approach him. Don't you see, Josi? It's you. Caleb's looking for you."

Josi shook her head vehemently. It's just not possible."

"Care to tell me why you sound so sure?"

"Well, for starters, have you seen me? I'm nowhere near good enough for him. How can he settle for a plain girl like me after breaking up with the most gorgeous girl in school?"

Megan frowned. "Josi, I don't think you have any idea what you're saying. You are definitely not plain. You're extremely gorgeous, and even more than Kehlani because you have a beautiful personality too. It's Caleb who's nowhere near good enough for you. In fact, you're too good for any of the guys here and that's the honest truth."