1

"You're the one who gave them power," Yashiro deduced in a casual voice.

The white-haired man was near a window that came up to his head, and if he took a few steps back he could fall out of the building. Behind him was a vertical pink neon sign that blinked constantly, and revealed a black shirt under a white trench coat, dark pants and brown boots. He smiled down at her with a calm, serene expression even though she could push him out the window.

"The hive man is rewarded for following the rules. The better the hive man, the less it matters what the rules are. In your hive, the rules called for you to sentence all these people to death," he spoke with a deep, cold voice.

"They call themselves young idealists. But they're just a bunch of gangs and killers," she shrugged her shoulders, her voice seemed distant and tired instead. "They don't seek individual freedoms and limit the role the government plays in our lives, but overthrow Sibyl and become the men in charge."

"You live in a world where the rules are already established. In my world, no rules, no laws remain. Only men. And it's only when you set them apart from the moral society, that you can see their souls. Much like now."

His golden eyes looked up, and they heard the clicking sound of a slide pumping the shotgun when it's pulled back, and then the sound when it's moved in a forward position. Yashiro yanked her forearm out of his own to turn around. A man with a green jacket fired at them, missing as they both melted into darkness, running in opposite directions. She took cover behind a column and drew her dominator, raising it forward. As soon as the weapon changed shape to execute him, she pulled the trigger first, and a flashing light illuminated the entire room. The floor was bathed in a deep red as his body stretched and exploded, and his legs fell to the floor.

Breathing heavily from the recent fight, Yashiro turned on the flashlight of her wristcom and looked around. There was a shadow of a man lying on the floor, and she ran towards it, finding the enforcer unconscious. She crouched down and laid her dominator on the floor, shining the flashlight on the body in front of her to check for a pulse. Several messy strands of her brown hair fell across her blue jacket, and her silver eyes drifted from the bleeding arm of the enforcer, to the new hologram on her wrist.

"This is Inspector Takahashi Yashiro, can anyone hear me?" her composed voice broke the silence, echoing throughout the room.

"Loud and clear," Aoyanagi Risa responded after a pause. "What is your status?"

"Enforcer down. He has a real deep laceration to his forearm... with arterial bleeding. I require immediate medical assistance!"

The other members of her division were checking her position, for they had already detected that her dominator had found a target for enforcement action, which could be seen through their wristcoms.

"We are heading over there to assist you right away," Aoyanagi assured in an authoritative voice.

A gunshot rumbled in the distance, followed by a woman's scream, and Yashiro looked directly at the door. She clicked her tongue and jumped to her feet, her dominator at the ready and flashlight off, to run for the exit. There was a group of men at the end of the corridor staring back at her, and as she raised her dominator, one man shouted something in Chinese and fired in her direction with a revolver, forcing her to duck for cover, then ran down the stairs with the others.

"Help!" a woman shouted.

Leaning her left hand on the wall, Yashiro gulped and stood up to cover herself with its surface. She felt her heart beating fast and her right hand gripping the dominator tightly, which she pulled away to raise her hands in front of her. She heard the group running and the Chinese man shouting something halfway up the stairs. Her hands were relaxed, as the man slowly moved up. Suddenly he pointed the gun forward, but Yashiro slipped out of his range of vision, grabbing his wrist and arm to pull him into the corridor.