25

The sharp, soft sound of teaspoons against cups emanating a strong smell of coffee echoed in the wide hallway, as several people slowly stirred their drinks accompanied by sweet foods.

"Miyake Ren was loyal. And yet you allowed the PSB to kill him," Makishima took a madeleine from a round plate and dipped it in his tea before eating it.

"I lost a man and so did you. Touma Kouzaburou was loyal to you," Agawa's voice was deeper, making him suddenly look up. "I know about the Specimen Case."

"His killings were... personal. That's why the PSB was able to link him to them. He didn't know how to protect himself, and he didn't listen to me. He was a driven, independent individual... but his pride ultimately led to his downfall. So much potential... lost the day he was captured," Makishima picked up the cup and gently moved it in front of his mouth, to smell the tea before taking a sip.

"Hard for you to admit your followers' shortcomings?" Agawa smiled for a second, sipping his Irish coffee from a medium cup.

"I don't like to think of them as followers," Makishima's face became serious as he set the cup down on the table. "For there to be followers there must be a person or an idea to follow. The way you put it suggests you are comparing me to a charming cult leader or preacher."

"And there's a difference?" Agawa raised his eyebrows.

"I never instructed anyone to murder anyone. I have no interest in preaching my own moral, social or philosophical worldview."

"You don't guide and inspire people out of good will. You would be incapable, even pretending. There's power, and profit in it. Isn't that a form of religion?" Agawa gently moved his cup towards him and took another sip.

"You should know."

"Religion has always been a business," Agawa clicked his tongue and looked away with narrowed eyes, setting the cup down on the table with a light thump, and clenching a fist in front of his chest. "I hate religion and the hypocrisy of it. It's responsible for far more bloodshed than I could ever accomplish. More people have been killed in its name than any other cause and yet religion hides violence with words of peace. Religion is not about love or charity, but blood and sacrifice."

Makishima blinked and frowned, looking at the man in front of him more intently than before, as he watched people walking down the opposite hallway of the building. A security drone passed by their table, but Agawa curled his lip for a moment and continued drinking coffee.

"You may call them followers... I prefer to see them as friends," Makishima smirked with narrowed eyes.

"A shepherd won't ever see sheep as friends, no matter how friendly he may seem, for he knows lambs are for slaughter. They need God. They need heaven. Papa State. Mama Sibyl. You don't. And they know it. That's why people follow you. But don't forget the mask you wear. Friendship is based on equality. You don't lie, control, manipulate, brainwash, or guide a friend in any way," Agawa looked down into his cup.

"Perhaps you're right. All I ever wanted was an equal," Makishima raised an eyebrow and stared at the surface of the table.

"I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance," sighed Agawa.

Makishima widened his eyes and blinked. A short, spontaneous laugh escaped his mouth.

"Nietzsche," he grinned like a Cheshire cat.

"Your ideas were always vitalistic and focused on the will and vitality of the body. You and I may have different roots... but we're cut from the same cloth."