Chapter 6 • ٦

TW: mention of abuse

»»————- ♔ ————-««

He kept his word. Every day, one way or another, we'd meet up and he'd teach me how to fight. Every night, he'd climb up the trellis outside my window and sneak into my room, staying with me until I fell asleep.

Tomorrow was the day the boys would leave and it had been a quiet day. At lunch & dinner everyone looked solemn and even Father, who had started several arguments at the table during the week, knew better than to pick a fight. When Minho climbed into my room that night, the mood was sombre and we didn't say anything for a long time as we laid on the floor.

"I don't want tomorrow to come." I whispered softly.

Minho grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "It'll be okay." He stopped and then turned on his side to face me. "Essie, we need to talk. You know that we can't avoid this conversation."

I sighed. "I already told you when you found out Minho. You can't tell anyone."

He stared at me incredulously. "You can't actually expect me to not say anything. I've been keeping this to myself for not even a week and it's killing me."

"Why? It's not that big of a deal."

"But it is Essie!" He snapped. Taking a deep breath to calm down, he continued. "This isn't normal. No one should be treated like this."

"But he's my father," I started, "and mother's soulmate. Isn't this normal?"

"Definitely not. Appa always tells us that you should treat your soulmate as an equal, since that is what they are. Your father does not treat your mother like his equal. As a father, his job is to build you up, not to tear you down. None of this is normal in any way." His brows furrowed as he fell into deep thought. "That is a bit weird actually. Isn't your parent's soulmate bond a pain bond? Doesn't he feel her pain?"

I shrugged. "Maybe it doesn't work like that when he's the one inflicting pain on her."

"Nevertheless, it's still wrong. Please Essie," he pleaded. "Somebody needs to know. I can talk to Appa about it if you'd like."

"No Minho."

"Essie please, I can't just-"

"Get out."

"What?" He stopped in shock.

"Didn't you hear me? I said, get out." I whispered harshly.

"Esther, I just-" he stuttered, "I'm just trying to help."

"I don't need you or want you to help. Now get out of my room."

"Look I'll drop it if you want, okay?" He held his hands up. "I won't bring it up for the rest of the night. It's my last night home for goodness knows how long, I don't want to leave on a bad foot."

"I don't care." I stood up and opened the window. "Get out."

Seeing I wouldn't budge, he got up and climbed out of the window. "I'm sorry Essie." He whispered softly. My heart clenched at the sight of his sad face, but I was too stubborn.

"Goodnight Minho." And with that, I slammed the windows shut.

I went and laid in my bed, facing the ceiling, waiting for sleep to come. I waited. And waited some more. But I'd become so used to falling asleep in Minho's protective aura, that falling asleep felt impossible. I slowly cried myself to sleep as I resolved to apologise before he left.

I woke up to the sun's warmth on my face. Panicking, I jolted awake and reached for my alarm clock. "No, no, no!" I whispered freaking out. Not caring that I was still in my nightgown barefoot, I ran out of my room and through the palace, hoping to make it before the boys left. Eventually, I saw the main doors wide open with everyone gathered outside, Chan already in the car while Minho was getting ready to go inside.

"Wait!" I called, running faster. "Please, just wait a minute!"

Minho perked up at my voice. "Essie? What's going on- woah" he stopped as I crashed into him and clung onto him.

"I'm sorry." I sniffled, voice muffled. "I'm so so sorry."

He gently patted my head. "It's okay little Essie. I should have probably handled it better." He chuckled nervously. "You should probably let go now though. Everyone is staring at us weirdly, I can't breathe properly anymore, and I need to go." Quickly I let go of him. "It's okay though, don't worry. I haven't told anyone. You need to be the one to tell people." He lifted my head and looked me straight in the eyes. "I know you can do it, I believe in you. Just be the strong sassy girl who doesn't handle any nonsense like you've always been. And keep practicing everything I've taught you, okay? You never know when it may be useful."

I laughed through my tears. "I promise." I replied, holding out my pinky finger to him. Laughing lightly, he wrapped his pinky around mine. A look of uncertainty flashed through his eyes before he lifted my hand up to his lips and kissed it.

"Goodbye Essie." He whispered softly.

"No." I shook my head lightly. "See you soon."

He gave me a small smile and climbed into the car. Everyone watched as they drove off, one by one walking back into the palace until only Céleste and I were left.

"Soooo," she started, "what was that all about?"

I felt my cheeks heat up as I blushed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Please," she scoffed, "don't think I haven't seen you guys sneaking around the whole week. Little Essie got herself a boyfriend, huh?" She teased me.

I raised my eyebrow in response. "Don't think I forgot about your little crush~" I teased her right back.

"Stop it!" She pointed her finger at me, cheeks reddening slightly. "Let's go back inside, okay?"

I linked my arm with hers. "After you bestie."

That night, I kept shifting in bed, unable to fall asleep, when a loud banging against the door of our wing started. I opened my bedroom door in time to see the wing door be broken down and soldiers flood inside our wing and into my parents bedroom, dragging my father out.

"What is the meaning of this?" He bellowed.

"Andrew Botros," Uncle Hongjoong who was leading the men spoke up, "you have been accused of abuse. You are to spend the rest of the night in a cell and appear before the King in Luminare Hall tomorrow for your trial. You do not have to say anything. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. You know how this all works." He waved to the soldiers holding Father. "Take him away, boys." Turning to Mother and I, he bowed his head. "I apologise for the abruptness. King Junwon wishes for you to be there for the trial tomorrow. Have a good night."

Slowly, Mother fell to her knees and sobbed, but I was too shocked to cry.

Minho had broken his promise, and I had trusted him. Yet at the same time, I wished that he could be here so that I could thank him for doing what I couldn't yet.

»»————- ♔ ————-««
hello everyone, it's your girl elle ~

I struggled so much with this chapter so I ended up writing something completely different to what I planned. It was supposed to be more sad and raw, but yesterday everyone at home kept arguing and I really couldn't handle that angst anymore.