chapter 21 - Graduation Day, Part 1

In the school hallway, I was standing on the staircase, signing people's yearbooks.

Harmony walked down the steps toward me. "Zoey, will you sign my yearbook?"

"Yeah," I answered. "You have to sign mine, too."

We switched yearbooks, signing them.

"You know, I really wish that we had stayed friends," Harmony told me. "I mean, you were always so much fun. I always wanted to be like that."

"Thanks," I told her.

"I hope we won't lose touch,"  Harmony told me.

"No, never," I told her. 

"Bye," Harmony told me.

"Bye," I told her. Harmony walked away, leaving. Buffy and Willow walked downstairs toward me. "You know, I can't believe I'm gonna miss her."

"Don't you hate her?" Buffy asked.

I shrugged slightly. "Well, the main things I'm gonna miss was when we were all actually friends."

"Right," Willow agreed. "Back when you were best friends with me and Xander, but you still somehow maintained a somewhat friendship with the populars."

"Until that came crashing down," I told them.

"But this whole thing?" Willow asked. "It's like a sickness. I'm just missing everything. I miss PE."

"I think it's contagious," Buffy told us. We walked into the student lounge. "The whole senior class has turned into the '60s, or what I would have imagined the '60s would have been like without the war and the hairy armpits."

"You don't feel it?" Willow asked.

"No, I don't," Buffy asked. "I guess I'll miss stuff, but I just don't get the whole graduation thing. I mean, you get a piece of paper, and nothing changes. I don't even think I'm gonna go."

Buffy and I sat at a table.

Willow got a soda from a nearby soda machine, looking at it affectionately. "Old trusty soda machine. I push you for root beer, you give me coke."

I looked at Buffy. "What do you mean, not go? Why not?"

"Ascension," Buffy told us. "Mayor becoming a demon. Snacking up on populace. I was planning on fighting him."

Willow sat next to us.

"You can't do both?" I asked.

Xander walked closer, sitting down. "Both what?"

"Go to graduation and fight the Mayor," Buffy answered.

"The Mayor?" Xander repeated. "What, you guys didn't hear?"

"Hear what?" I asked.

"Guess who our commencement speaker is," Xander told us.

"Siegfried?" Willow asked.

"No," Xander answered.

"Roy?" Willow asked.

"No," Xander answered.

"One of the tigers?" Willow asked.

"Come out of the fantasy, Will," Xander told her.

"I don't believe this," I told them.

"Lends credence to my whole 'I'm gonna die' theorem, doesn't it?" Xander asked.

"The Mayor at graduation?" Buffy asked. "A hundred helpless kids to feed on. Got any other surprises for us?"