Chapter 7

'I know it's wrong but I can't help but be enthralled.'

One was going to fall and the other was going to rise.

. . . . . . . .

Only one week left. Seven days until the operation was to take place according to what he had told him. At least, it wasn't as if he had anything to worry about. His role was over from the moment he had given them all the information they needed. That was the sign for him to return to his original position, that is, in the darkness. Where the ghosts of his family would gather around him to haunt him.

He was used to it by now. He was one of the main culprits who sent them all six feet under and had no regrets about it. It was bound to end anyway, maybe not right away, but the sooner the better so he simply hurried things along a bit. He was quite surprised when he asked him to stay though. They had always been distant from each other so why change that? That's what he thought.

But that wasn't the other's opinion. He was just standing there with the same blissful smile he always wore, maybe a little more squirming. He held out a hand and offered to come with him. He rejected that hand. He didn't need it. It wasn't for him that he had done this, but his own personal satisfaction for always wanting to destroy this cult that was rotten to the core. So what did he see in him?

Even after ignoring him for all those years and resurfacing from nowhere, he welcomed him with open arms and a hug. Eli Clark... A very strange man if you ask him. Always smiling, optimistic, selfless... He was everything he wasn't. They may have been twins, but he seemed to have taken all the good qualities at birth, leaving only the flaws to the second. The ugly duckling, basically.

At least, that's not what bothered him. He had always been the quiet one among them and wasn't the type to enjoy being a goody two-shoes without being offensive. No matter how much they looked alike physically, they were still two completely different people. Despite this, he didn't want to change his name. Why not? It was his choice to separate from him, so why hold on to something with so much meaning? He too made some pretty strange choices sometimes, one of the few things they had in common.

So he lived for a good twenty years without revealing his name to anyone. This caused him a few worries from time to time, but he managed to get out of them somehow. What he had learned as a child had at least served a purpose. Without him knowing how, he had become the head of one of the most important branches of Interpol. Pretty hilarious. So he spent his days locked in an office, monitoring various cases around the world and relaying orders to his subordinates.

Then one day, a familiar name popped up on his screen, Oletus. Digging into his memories, he remembered that it was an organization filled with some pretty shady people, criminals trying to be heroes or something like that. However, his eyebrows furrowed when he saw another name that sounded very familiar... Eli Clark. 'Surveyor'... What the hell was he playing at? He had a bright future ahead of him and he decided to live his life by joining a gang of thugs?

No, that couldn't be. He had to find out for sure, see for himself. As unlikely as it was, there was always the possibility of a third Eli Clark, it's not like that name wasn't widespread after all, it had to be, it must be a mistake about the person. So he quickly gathered his things and left his office, which was beginning to be overflowing with papers and instant noodles. He would do some cleaning up once he had cleared his mind of the situation.

So he started his car and headed for the park, which was only a few minutes away from the organization's building. He parked in a free space before taking his blindfold and covering his eyes with it. It was a strange sort of habit he had, in case he could run into people his brother knew and not arouse suspicion, if only he knew he was doing something similar as well, the fabric was thin enough for him to see through.