An Idea

*An update without a long gap! Yay! My entire family has Covid so I will probably have a little more time to update, but no promises. Anyway, here you go!*

Matts POV

It was 10AM. I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking about my amazing girlfriend, Mallory, when it hit me.

I loved Mal and we had already been dating for around 6 months. I did love her, and we had told each other this. I knew that my idea was slightly crazy, but I knew that it was amazing.

I jumped up and grabbed my car keys. I was about to open the door when Stacey called from across the room.

"Where are you going?" He wiggled his eyebrows. "Hanging out with your girlfriend?"

"No," I said. I wasn't going to hang out with Mal, but I didn't want to tell Stacey where I was really going. "I'm going to Jason's. We're watching the game." 

He bought that lie and I was on my way. I was filled with nerves as I knocked on the Meek's door. Stephen opened.

"Hey Matt. "What's up?"

"Hey Stephen," I started. "Is Whitney home? I need her help." He looked at me strangely.

"Yeah, come on in." 

We made our way inside and Stephen called for Whitney. I sat on the couch and bounced my knee while their kids came over and gave me hugs.

"Hi Matt," Whitney said as she sat in the chair across from me. Stephen sat next to me on the couch. "What do you need?"

"You're Mal's best friend, right?" She nodded her head. "Well, I want to get her a gift and I need your help picking it out."

"Okay," Whitney said, grinning. "What kind of gift?"

"A very special one," here I paused for dramatic effect. "A ring!"

Whitney shrieked and squealed like a little girl. "You're going to propose?!"

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"It's about time!" Stephen clapped me on the back. "When do you want to do it?"

"I was thinking during the live show," I said. "You know, take a page out of your book." Stephen laughed.

"Let's go ring shopping right now!" I laughed and swallowed my nerves as Whitney pulled me out of the door.

************

Five hours later I came home and collapsed on the couch. Shopping is hard. I'm glad I brought Whitney along with me, because I had no idea what I was doing. We looked in a dozen stores before we found the right ring. It was perfect and we both decided that Mallory would love it.

My heart leapt into my throat at the thought of proposing to Mallory. After all these years, I finally had found the love of my life, and she was right in front of me the whole time. I reached into my pocket and fingered the little velvet box. It was right there. My future was right in that little box. I just hoped Mal would say yes.

Stacey came into the room and sat on the chair opposite me. Adam followed and so did Jason. Jason? Uh-oh. There goes my cover story.

"You weren't with Jason." Stacey said calmly. "You lied to us. Where were you really? What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Guys," I said. "I'm a grown man, I don't need you three babysitting me. I don't have to tell you where I am at all times."

"We know that," Adam said. "But you lied to us. That's sus."

I sighed. I guess I should tell them. After all, they will find out eventually. 

"If you must know, I was at the mall with Whitney."

"Why were you at the mall? And why was Whitney there too?" Jason rounded on me.

"She was helping me buy a gift for Mallory," I couldn't help but smile. I could tell I was driving the guys crazy.

"A gift?" Adam said. "Poor, poor Matt, you can't even buy presents for your girlfriend without help."

I laughed. "Believe me, I couldn't have done it without her help. It was a joint effort."

"Well, what is the gift? I want to know!!" Stacey leaned closer to me.

"Just a little piece of jewelry." I couldn't help toying with them.

"What kind of jewelry?" Jason asked. "Earrings? A necklace? Girls love those."

"Keep guessing," I said, putting my hand in my pocket.

"Bracelets?" This guess was Stacey. I shook my head.

"Do you give up yet?" They all nodded. I pulled the box out. Adam and Jason gasped and Stacey squealed. "I'm going to ask Mallory to marry me."

"Yes! Yes! Finally!" Stacey was doing a happy dance around our living room. 

Jason took the box and studied the ring. He gave a nod of approval. "This is really nice. She'll love it."

"You won't be a bachelor anymore!" Adam exclaimed. That caught Stacey's attention.

"Oh no! Are you gonna kick us out?"

I laughed and put the box back. "Probably. Sorry guys."

Stacey just shrugged. "Whatever, my OTP is getting married!"

"Well, as long as she says yes." I said, my nerves coming back full force. But I just ignored it. I was going to ask the girl of my dreams to marry me!

***
So... What do you think? Mattory is possibly getting engaged!!! I'm sorry if this feels too sudden for you, but they have been dating for awhile now. I literally couldn't stop smiling while writing this chapter. 

As always, thanks so much for reading and commenting. I really love to hear from my readers, it just brings a smile to my face.

Love Ya