Ch. 6 - SKY JELLIES

Chapter Six
🏹 Sky Jellies 🏹

Joel sat on a rock as he ate a can of beans while Maeve leaned against the rock, dragging a knife across a piece of wood. Boy ran up to them and dropped a small, dead creature in front of them making them cringe

"Aw, I'm okay. I'm just gonna... You can have that. I'll just stick to the beans." Joel said and Boy picked the creature and dropped it closer to Joel making Maeve chuckle. "I'm good. I'm not gonna eat that, so..." He said and Boy picked it up and dropped it next to Maeve, "I'm alright. Thank you though." She said as she scratched the top of his head.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Joel asked as he looked over at Maeve and she nodded, "What's up?" She asked. "You know how you guys were teaching me everything I need to know...? I was wondering if you can help me with something." He said awkwardly before sighing.

"I kind of have a freezing problem... You I freeze up whenever I'm face to face with something dangerous." He said and she nodded slightly, "Okay, yeah that's normal." She said and he raised his eyebrows. "Doesn't it make me a liability?" He asked and she shrugged.

"Technically, yeah but it's not like you choose to have it. It's part of the flight or fight response. Sometimes your body and mind just doesn't know what it wants to do. Part of you wants to fight while the other part wants to run so your body just freezes." She said and he glanced at her.

"How do I over come it?" He asked and she sighed softly before holding out the piece was wood which she had carved to look like a dog. "Woah." He said as he took it, "Use that when you freeze, to ground yourself. It's like what people do during panic attacks, they use something to distract themselves from it until they've grounded themselves." She said and he nodded slightly.

"Okay, and how so I do that?" He asked, "Hold it in your hand, put some of your focus on that so your brain isn't so frazzled. Let it remind you were you are in the moment and want you have to do. Then just take a deep breath and do what you need to." She said and he nodded slightly and stared at her for a moment.