Ch. 9 - HOMESICK POSION

Chapter Nine 🏹 Homesick Posion 🏹

Chapter Nine
🏹 Homesick Posion 🏹

"Tell us. Yeah, come on, Cap. Tell us another story." People said as the colony, plus Joel, Maeve and the yacht people all sat around a fire. "Four years post-Agatha. HMS Brisbane. First watch. I was the first person to see it coming over the wall. Giant lizard, two stories high. I sounded the alarm. Too late." Cap said as Joel looked over at Maeve who sat on the other side of the fire across from him with a bored expression, not really paying attention.

"We lost 1,032 souls that night. Those of us that survived took to the sea. I mean, make no mistake. We have lost this war. Right? There is no place for mankind on land. But out there? There we got a chance." Cap said and Joel cleared his throat and raised his hand up slightly making everyone look at him.

"I've got a... Sorry. Just got a... question. I survived seven days on the surface and Maeve had been out there a lot longer before we found each other. If I can do that, literally anyone can." Joel said as he glanced at Maeve who smiled at him, "Seven days on the surface? I'm impressed." Cap said.

"So maybe we still have a chance... to fight and... and, you know, win, uh... win our... win our world back." Joel said and Cap nodded slightly, "I have a plan. And if you have a better one, mate, I'm... I'm all ears. And I will stand by your side." He said said making Joel's eyes widened.

"You wanna hear my... You wanna hear my plan? It's, uh... just, uh... I got nothing, uh..." Joel said as he cleared his throat awkwardly, "Hey, that's on me. I-I didn't mean to put you on the spot, mate. It's...." Cap trailed off slightly and Joel glanced over at Maeve who smiled softly at him.

"Well... Aimee tells me you make a mean minestrone. And you're great on the radio. Lord knows I need a comms expert. Someone to teach Rocko how to cook." Cap said making everyone laugh, "Do you guys have a radio I could use? I want to contact my colony." Joel asked.

A few minutes later Joel said in front of a radio and pressed the button on the microphone. "7045, this is 3022. Come in." He said as Maeve walked in making him glance at her as she sat down next to him. "7045, this is 3022. Is anyone there? Tim? Ava? Anyone. Over." He said and Maeve sighed and comfortingly grabbed his hand as Old Pete walked in and set a bowl and a couple glasses down.