Chapter: 6

She gazed up at the ceiling, her eyelids started to feel hefty,  not wanting to sleep yet she abruptly got off the bed and shuffled herself out of the room to the direction of the library, making sure no one saw her.

The big sturdy dark mahogany door stood tall and strong In front of her. She pushed it open and silently shut it behind her. 

She inhaled the intoxicating scent of books. Shelves were placed in rows till the end, the spaces taken up by physical books had comfortable seating, places to read in peace. 

Andrea browsed through the books trying to find anything related to umbrakinesis. She walked towards a table with a bundle of books in her hands, almost tumbling down on the way. She flipped through pages and pages and pages.

Nothing. Nothing useful.

All she found were various definitions of umbrakinesis, few facts about it which she already acknowledged or were just pointless.

 It was obvious this power was rare. It sparked a hint of envy inside her about the fact that umbrakinesis was rarer than telekinesis. 

Having no other likeable choice she walked to the restricted section. Scanning the rows a certain thick book caught her eye which was at the highest row.

 She raised her hand and the book pulled itself out and floated down landing in her grip. The cover was black leather, and "Umbrakinetics: The Shadow Walkers" was written on it in silver.

 Feeling too lazy to return to the table she crossed her legs and sat down. She unstrapped it and opened the book tenderly.

 The pages were brown as if they were dipped in tea, it was ragged in texture and not porcelain white like the ones they utilized now.

 She skimmed through the pages, discovering this book was more informative and intriguing than the rest of the books.

"What are you doing here?!" A voice softly scolded her. Andrea looked up to see the librarian glaring down at her through her half-moon spectacles. 

She gasped when she saw the book in Andrea's hand as she stood up.

"This is the restricted section, do you have any permission slip?"

She just looked at her with a poker face in silence.

"Return the book in its place now or I will inform Marcela"

Andrea didn't like being threatened, so she decided to be the threat herself. 

Bluntly she took out her dagger from her pocket and pointed it at the woman.

"Inform this to anyone, and I'll make sure that not even those glasses can make you see" 

The librarian's eyes widened in horror and stepped back. Andrea walked out of the library and headed to her room.

 She sat down at her study table. Stacks of printed notes piled on the dark, messy and disorganized, all belonging to their stacks.

 Books with notes scribbled recklessly in the margin with a black fountain pen, valuable paragraphs were spiralled and underlined with fierce passion. 

A half-drunk cup of tea, its quantities relinquished in favour of a sudden breakthrough. 

Her journal was kept far away at the corner of the table.

 She put on her wire-framed glasses. Her wristband projected a keyboard, she began tapping away the important points from the book:

ABILITIES

Darkness aura/ Shadow camouflage:   nurtures the practitioner's presence to be concealed, arising in a very beneficial ability to protect themselves.

 Depending on the level, the user can conceal in someone else's shadows, or hide someone along with them.

Animated shadows:  users can assemble animated beings that think by themselves. An outstanding level of professionalism and endurance is required.

Light absorption: can be utilized to attain energy, to diminish a light manipulator, to reproduce new shadows faster.

Shadow attacks: can form a solid armour drape their body, a projectile to attack from distance. 

Creating Shadow Clones. 

Shadow Clones are somewhat vulnerable copies of themselves made of darkness; only a slight number can be deployed at a moment and the user is narrowly weaker while the duplicates are outside of them.

Healing: requires profession, practice and a relaxed mind to do so.

OTHER:

Dimensional storage

Shadow traversing

Night vision

one can also monitor and wield the entities that prevail there, create and dispel shields and regions of absolute darkness, establish constructs and weapons, teleport one's self through vast distances via shadows, etc. 

They can use both direct and indirect attacks, operating every patch of darkness or shadow accessible or develop tools and weapons as desired. 

It all relies on the proficiency, mastery, endurance, of the user and their power's hereditary limits.

An abrupt knock on the door affected her stomach to clench in fear. She hastily turned the keyboard off and kept the book under her bed.

 She opened the door attempting not to look suspicious. Auster existed In front of her with an assortment of a sneer and frown on his face.