Chapter: 62

She was tired, she was lost, her breath was stained. She fisted her hands, a sharp pain jolting through her veins as if they were on fire, her skull felt as if it was going to crack. The Sicariurs began to hover, their movements freezing. Her face twitched, one wrong movement could rip a nerve, break a bone, stop her heart from beating.

“Put them down!”

The strident voice yelled. Auster had Leo wrapped in a layer of dirt.

“or the boy dies!”

Andrea scoffed. As if she gave a shit. He could kill him at the very moment she wouldn’t even flinch.

They dropped to the floor with a loud thud! 

Andrea straightened her arm swiftly sending Auster to the wall, she unsealed her sword and rushed towards the man on the floor kicking him on the shin, and cheek making him spit out blood.

She raised her sword to stab him, from behind Leo held her wrists.

“We don’t kill,” Leo seethed, “Go get Callista, I’ll take care of these shitheads,”

Daggers formed on both of his arms as a few began to get up.

Andrea ran to the door knocking out a few of them. She dragged one of them to the scanner and ran their limp hand across it granting her access.

She entered, seeing the same thing as what Auster had shown her. She walked to a chamber and gazed through the glass.

There she was.

Her real mother.

She placed her hand on the glass as if already feeling this connection with her. It felt as if she was staring at a reflection.

A loud beep caught her attention. One of the chambers glowed red. She rushed to it. It was the one Callista occupied.

‘OXYGEN LEVEL CRITICAL’

Andrea glanced around in hopes of finding anything that could help her, a control panel, an oxygen tank.

She glanced at her breathing fluid meter reading. She had enough.

She pulled the tube connecting it to the side of the chambers panel.

Letting out slow breaths trying to control it. She laid beside the chamber.

A clear automated, irrelevant,

“oxygen remaining 30%”

She felt the coldness come through her suit and her oxygen slowly reducing.

Murdering without a valid reason and conscience gave rise to many regrets and the burden of guilt began to fill her chest, not making it any easier to breathe. 

“fight well my dear, kill those demons that are building doubts of clouds in your head,"

She had befriended those demons. Believed their cursed words. Maybe she was the demon.

It was silent,  a stark contrast to the loud world of shouting, echoes, and crashing. It was a non-ending expanse of silence.

“oxygen remaining 25%”

Her heartbeats are the only rhythm in the stillness. She can’t hear the beatings but she surely can feel it.

“oxygen remaining 20%”

She can feel the blood rushing through her and she never felt so alive. The flows stimulate her nerves.

 She felt weirdly at peace.

Her eyelids felt heavy, she languidly shut them. She heard the sound of something rushing, she couldn't tell if it were blood or people coming to the rescue.

Then darkness enveloped her, memories that lingered in her head for a while were now specks of dust.