[17]

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

━︎︎━︎︎━︎︎➵︎━︎︎━︎︎━︎︎ The 76th Hunger Games

"It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war

"It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war."

-John F. Kennedy

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

                         "FINNICK? SADIE?" KATNISS announced as Finnick and Sadie walked under one of the many tents holding rebels with smiles on their faces. Finnick swung his trident around as he nodded towards Katniss. "Are you with us?" The Mockingjay asked.

"Looks like it," Finnick answered, and Katniss chuckled.

"That was a short honeymoon," the girl joked as she embraced them both.

"Yeah, well, I guess we're gonna have to have one in The Capitol," Finnick stated.

"After we take it," Sadie smirked, and Katniss laughed.

"Gather 'round," Boggs ordered as he and the tv crew walked in. "Squad 451, you're my unit. Lieutenant Jackson is my second-in-command. Each one of you is elite in some form of combat. But we are a non-combat unit. So we'll be following days behind the front-line troops," Boggs explained.

"You're to be the onscreen faces of the invasion. The Star Squad. It's been decided that you're most effective when seen by the masses," Cressida added.

"So we're not gonna fight?" Gale asked, sounding quite disappointed.

"You'll do whatever you're ordered to do, soldier. It's not your job to ask questions," Boggs snapped, and Gale nodded.

"Yes, sir."

"Our instructions are to shoot propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of The Capitol. You were handpicked to intimidate their forces," Boggs continued.

"And inspire surrenders," Cressida said.

"Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you, wherever they put us, it will not be safe. This is a war zone. It is likely that we'll encounter both active pods and Peacekeepers. You're considered high-value targets to The Capitol. In the event of capture, you'll be given a nightlock pill. A poison that acts immediately. Lieutenant Jackson, do the honors," Boggs handed Lieutenant Jackson a case filled with nightlock pills. Once she passed Finnick and Sadie theirs, they looked at each other with uneasy looks.

"I've already briefed you on the pods. I remind you, they are on every block. Our unit has been given a Holo. A database that contains a detailed map of The Capitol and a list of every known pod. These pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts. We cannot move without this device. There's no guarantee that our database is complete. There could be new pods that we're not aware of. Because we don't want the Gamemakers to know we have this intel, it has a self-destruct on it. You flip this switch, say nightlock, three times, and it blows itself and anything within a 10-foot radius. Stay within our unit. Even with the Holo, it is likely that new pods have been set. Whatever they contain, they are meant to kill you," once Boggs finished, Sadie leaned towards Katniss' ear and whispered.