Chapter 5: Caught

Caught

Being careful is always advised.
Not paranoid, not unaware.

A perfect balance.

It was a very dark night. After music practice, Fuyuki was walking home whilst taking her own sweet time enjoying the nature around her. Today she decided to take the route from the park back. Not only that. Someone's presence was around. Usually she would just ignore it walk away, but it was for work this time. Turning around, she saw a middle-aged man crawl out from the bushes. With leaves and sticks in his black greying hair, he seemed as if he was some homeless bum. The thing that came slightly surprising was that his outfit consisted of a kimono in shades of blue, hanging across his neck was a charm, even though it is not feudal Japan or some event going on. She watched the man as he scanned his surroundings with his chalky brown eyes before standing up properly and removing whatever was stuck onto him.

"Hahaha! Maeno-san, I found you!" He let out a low laugh. "Hm? Just out of school, eh. That means you're going home, so I'll make this short."

His smile turned into a straight line, his eyebrow furrowing with eyes tingeing with ferocity. The grey-headed girl was not surprised by this change of attitude. This was one needed for his line of work, even hers, really. Although Fuyuki is one of the laziest things you could ever find around, she was unbelievably serious at carrying out her responsibilities. She would not stand being mocked for not being serious at work or whatever needed her attention and would blow a hole in whoever that might say that. She turned back her attention to Sasaki Koujirou, the youngest child of three, from the Sasaki Shrine. It caught the attention of many that all of them became vampire hunters instead of becoming the head priest of the shrine. In fact, Koujirou's other two siblings- twins in fact, joined one of the most infamous vampire hunter groups- Vampire Circus. Being the youngest and most influenced by the family's lineage, Koujirou stayed on to protect what was left of his family. Fuyuki tapped her feet impatiently for the man to continue whatever he wanted to say.

"Are you interested in killing vampires, Mercenary?" He asked, a cold smile forming on his lips.

"Just get to the point already." Fuyuki said, raising a brow.

"Hm... heard of the name Mukami Ruki?" Koujirou continued as he eyed the surprised girl carefully. "A half-vampire. Makes him all the more dangerous! Halves aren't naturals. Their tendency to go berserk for blood is way higher. You go to the same school as him, so I'm asking you to assassinate him. For a good price, of course."

"Rejected." She said immediately, spitting on the ground. "You're a vampire hunter, it's not my job."

"Ah, but sometimes I can hire people like you to do it,no?" The man put a hand to his head. "Its safer for your race to do such dangerous jobs, isn't it."

"Bah. I'm not taking your excuses. I'm the one who chooses my clients, not you." The teen shoved the man aside. "Go back to Edo, I am not interested in your offer."

"Hmph. I know you're affiliated with the target." Koujirou said with a sour voice, eyes full of disgust.

Ignoring him, Fuyuki decided to leave. Koujirou took off in the opposite direction, waving a hand without looking back.

"The next time we meet, death will be lurking."

"Maeki~ You're late today~" Kou complained as he set himself on the sofa, changing the channels on TV. "Aha, this is the one with me in it. Isn't it great?"

"Shut up, you self-important brat." Yuma scoffed, grinding on his sugar cubes. The whole family except Ruki was in the living room.

Power in exchange for a gaping hole in her mind, void of memories. Of course, the reason was as fine as it was. Emotional triggers from those remembering causes such powers to run amok and such an occurrence was unacceptable. At the same time, these painful memories are not to be stored away forever, if full powers were to be obtained. Slowly gathering a sense of self over the several full moons, which barely gave her a fill of the gap, this one right now was throwing several, disconnected and scattered flashbacks flowing into her mind. And always, she'd be asleep. Fuyuki knew that it wasn't the best time for this to happen, with a foreseen event occurring. Weighing on a scale, her brother's life costed as much as her own. Although he was obnoxious, dominating, an asshole and a sadist, she still cared. Even if he said that he could do it himself, the fact is: he'd never fought alone against a vampire hunter. This very fact worried the girl a lot. That man- Sasaki Koujirou- was clearly going to kill her anyway so...she could handle him herself.