Chapter 6: Victim, Prey

Victim, Prey

The result of someone's crime.
But, for what reason?

"Uahh...Koujirou-san *sniff*...ahh..."

On a wheelchair, a woman with delicate features was crying softly over the unfortunate event that had traumatised her. She clutched firmly on her Rosario that was bonded around her neck, so hard that her hand had started to bleed. The vampire hunter, Koujirou, took her trembling fingers into his own, wiping away the blood and wrapped a bandage around her wound.

"Terumi... I'm sorry." He hugged her lightly in his apology, allowing Terumi to burrow her head into his broad shoulder. Her small hands clutched onto his back.

He shifted his eyes towards her wrapped neck. What it was covering was...the remains of a vampire bite. Just last week, Terumi had barely managed to stay alive when he found her body stumbled at the shrine's doorstep. With most of her blood drained out of her, Koujirou had to result to his power to keep her heart from stopping. She continued crying into his shoulder, her beautiful dark blue hair covering her face.

"I should stop crying...now that we know the vampire's identity, we can take immediate action." Determined, she swiftly rolled her wheelchair away from Koujirou, tossing him a handkerchief to wipe his soaked shoulder. "Mukami Ruki, 18 years of age, 3rd year in high school."

The man smiled at his childhood friend's strong will. He knew well that she despised half-vampires, even much more than he did. How broken she was to realise she was bitten by a horrible, sadistic one at that. At first she tried to understand and empathise with them for they were once human, but after several years she gave up trying- all the half-blooded ones she met never spared humans a thought. They were completely devoured by their new nature, devoid of their previous feelings, as if they were vampires ever since they were born.

Koujirou wasn't surprised that she decided to be his partner in this line of work after all her past experiences. The Rito family was not to be underestimated when it came to finding information. In fact, all the details he received on her attacker was none other than Terumi herself. Apparently they were currently trying to stop their business, though. They concluded it was too dangerous for them to continue, therefore hiding their true work from their youngest son. Terumi would always bite her lip whenever her younger brother was brought up. It was conflicting for her when it came to telling him the truth.

"I've asked my favourite mercenary to help us, but it seems that she is affiliated with the target. She goes to the same school as him." He remembered how the girl reacted to his offer. It was clear that she had zero intention to kill this vampire at all.

"You can't just a high school girl who is friends with the target to just kill him, you know." Terumi sighed at his views. "She may be a mercenary, but she is still a young girl. If she rejected you offer harshly it means that she has close bonds with him. But why, I wonder?"

"She has a cold hard face and kills people without a single thought for the sake of her rewards. As a mercenary, she knows that forming close ties to those around you is the last thing you should do, even if the person is your family." Koujirou folded his arms, confused. "She's not even human."

"Hmm. Then...he may have already employed her."

This was the closest answer she could get. It made sense. The target is her client and her reward must be plentiful if she put off Koujirou's offer, even though she knew that she could get much out of him.

"That is most likely. She already know I'm going to kill her..." The vampire hunter's voice trailed off when he saw the young woman throw him a piercing stare.