Chapter 104: The Skyscraper Badge

A shuttle bus carried Gym Challengers from the Pokémon Center to Eclo Gym. Sunlight bounced off the futuristic steel walls of the renovated Team Snagem Hideout. At night, the Poké Ball hologram tinted the canyon walls blood red.

Even the Gym Guide wore a Team Snagem-inspired uniform. The very first Snag Machine, which looked more like a vending machine, was on display in the lobby. Framed photos celebrated Team Snagem's former leader Gonzap and the first Gym Leader, Agrev.

'Which one of ya's brave enough to face our Marc first?'

The queue apparently meant nothing at Eclo Gym, but they already decided Fuchsia would battle first.

'I'll beat his ass any time.'

'Heh! Go on, then, Missy!'

They studied the map of the Gym while they were in the canyon. It was still a daunting maze. Gym Trainers jumped out from behind every vending machine and bizarrely-placed oil drums. Vintage Team Snagem recruitment posters decorated the walls. Despite the stains from Skarmory droppings that lingered everywhere, challengers knew the Gym Leader's lounge was close when the clean, modern walls were suddenly interrupted by a crumbling staircase. Beyond it was the room where Team Snagem once partied around a long table, left untouched as if time froze when Wes blew up the hideout.

'Pretty impressive, getting past all my Gym Trainers!'

Marc, a Bewear of a man, sat in a creaking chair with his legs up on the faded and battered desk.

'What do you say, kid? Want to join Team Snagem?'

'Har-har-har. Hilarious.'

'Gwahahaha! You just want to battle. I like that attitude! But don't get any ideas about beating me!'

His shadow fell over Fuchsia as he sprang from his chair. He didn't bother asking if she was ready before he threw two Ultra Balls. Aggron and Skarmory dropped out. Fuchsia sent out Rapidash and Sylveon.

'Rapidash! Use High Horsepower! Sylveon! Mystical Fire!'

Rapidash charged. The floor shook as Aggron's heavy body toppled over. Before it could stand, it was knocked out by Sylveon's Mystical Fire. Fuchsia expected Skarmory to use Spikes or Iron Defense, but as she knew Aggron was a threat, Marc could see that Sylveon was Fuchsia's strongest Pokémon. Skarmory tucked in its wings and slammed it down with Iron Head. Its sharp wings and beak sprayed blood. Sylveon fainted.

Fuchsia sent out Golett. Marc sent out Lucario. Rapidash's galloping hooves pounded the floor. It crashed into Lucario with Flare Blitz. The recoil damage knocked it back. Lucario stood with a slight limp. It used Swords Dance. This time, Skarmory did use Iron Defense. Its steely skin hardened. Golett's flailing fist hit Lucario. The little Pokémon was stronger than it looked. Lucario fainted. Marc sent out Durant. Rapidash charged again at Durant. Flare Blitz was doubly effective, but Durant's Sturdy Ability prevented it from fainting. Before Golett could deal the finishing blow, it was seized in Durant's mandibles and squeezed unconscious by Crunch.

Skarmory darted at Rapidash. Drill Peck left gaping wounds on its side. Its legs began to shake.

'You're doing great, Rapidash! Go, Froslass!'

Froslass used Destiny Bond. If either of its opponents knocked it out, they would go down with it. Durant was trampled by Rapidash's Flare Blitz. It fainted. Rapidash fell to its knees. The recoil damage knocked it out. Marc grimaced as Skarmory crashed into Froslass, ramming it down with Iron Head. Ice cracked and dusted the floor. He hoped Froslass would remain conscious, so Skarmory wouldn't be tied to the same fate by Destiny Bond, but it was no use. Froslass fainted. Skarmory went down with it.