Chapter 111: Victory Road

Even in the clearest weather, whenever the Gym Challenge was in full swing, Citadark Isle was cloaked in black clouds. Only its glowing veins of lava were visible. Captains of the ships that usually sailed smoothly through the bay grumbled at the raging waves whipped up by retired Elite Four member Chobin, using the old Cipher defences.

Challengers who wanted to conserve their energy for Victory Road took the ferry. It was usually those with a point to prove who swam or flew there with the help of their most loyal Pokémon. Perry did have a point to prove, but conserving his energy was more important. Raichu stood beside him on the damp deck. As the waves grew rougher, the little boat was battered and the deck soaked. Gateon Port shrank on the horizon until the boat was swallowed by the black clouds that seemed, to challengers, like the gates to another dimension where only victory or defeat existed. For Perry, defeat was not an option. Victory could be the only path.

Brogan reached the peak the previous day. He challenged the Elite Four. There were rumours that Jamie didn't even bother to show up. As he apparently predicted, Brogan lost to Parvor. He wasn't needed.

Amongst the rough waves and waiting in the whistling wind were Ace Trainers. They tested anyone brave or reckless enough to make their own way to Citadark Isle. Their presence meant someone was indeed doing so. When a Skarmory's shadow briefly fell over the boat, Perry realised it was Granite. He wasn't alone. Clinging to reins on the back of Gyarados was Amaryllis. She left Tom in Laztaz Town. He planned to battle tourists at Lake Scheelite, for more experience with unfamiliar Pokémon, before heading to Citadark Isle. Amaryllis didn't need that. She familiarised herself with every known Pokémon in all her Battle Sims.

The next time Perry saw Skarmory, it was perched on a buoy beside its Trainer. An opponent's Tailwind knocked Granite off. He yelled his commands from the water and won, but his prize money was whisked away by the wind. They were splashed as Gyarados passed. It overtook the boat and fell behind again when another Ace Trainer crossed their path. Defeat was not an option for any of them, but only one could win.

Smoke billowed where lava hit the water. Flags bearing all eight of Orre's Gym Badges scaled the walls of the volcano. A pair of Ace Trainers protected the heavy steel doors that allowed only the worthy in to Victory Road. The ferry rocked as it reached the dock. Perry and Raichu were soaked, but he turned back only to look at the crashing waves before approaching the doors.

'Challenger! Only those who hold all eight Gym Badges of Orre may enter Victory Road!'

He took out his Badge case. After someone was let in with six fake Badges a few years ago, tradition wasn't the only reason they examined each Badge, one by one.

'That is Julia's Machine Badge!'

'That is Julia's Machine  Badge!'

'Dirk's Net Badge!'