Room Inspection

The two went back to the dormitory after the sudden crying session of the silent girl, Mei. Kouichi walked beside her silently, not prodding her any questions or talking about random things like he does before. Mei, actually felt lonely than at peace from his silence.

The winter wind blew right through them and Mei turned just in time to see the wind move Kouichi's hair behind him. His entire beauty was laid out before her in the most cruel way. Until now, whenever fate leads them together, it only brings heavy feelings for her. Although they were naïve little junior high school students when they dated, she felt the lingering feeling of loneliness when he went away. 

A snowflake fell down on her soft and rosy cheeks. She felt a stinging feeling on the spot where it fell, nevertheless, she felt happy how it had chosen to fall on her cheeks. The snowflake didn't last long and she felt it melt away from her warmth. Mei had to touch her full cheeks, missing its touch. She felt a really close relationship with winter. Despite its cold temperature, the winter season always warmed her heart with its neat beauty. She looked up and saw the falling white particles. 

Kouichi beside her noticed her behavior. He tilted his head slightly to gaze down at the girl with an excited eyes. It seems like something has made her happy. He gave out a slight chuckle and turned his head back.

"Do you like it?"

"Un," She responded with a small nod. Then she turned to him. "I like it."

She smiled at him with her most sincere and big smile. Her cheeks expanded to the side in a cute way that made her cheeks fuller, her set of white teeth greeted the earth and her eyes squinted a bit from her big smile. 

It was as if Kouichi was pierced with an arrow through his heart. He felt his heart drum against his chest and his body warming up, making him fluster. He puts a hand on the back of his neck.

"Why do you like it?" He asked, out of curiosity.

"Hm?" Mei looked at him briefly before responding. "It's beautiful."

"Yeah, I think so too. But, I didn't like the feeling of cold." He chuckled. "Maybe you could say that I'm more of a summer type of guy."

Mei thought of his words.

But he liked the winter before...he must have changed his preference.

She nodded her head, becoming silent once again. In her mind, she didn't feel bothered by it at all. She could hear a faint laugh of the high school girl students in the distance. They were holding their duffel bags. She seemed to notice how it felt familiar. It seems like she saw this in her dream before, where students are excited to go home.

Beside her, Kouichi chuckled as he puts his hands on his coat's pockets. Mei turned to him, meeting his eyes. 

"It seems that the dormitory will be quiet these days..." Kouichi said, a smile and a glint of joy showing on his eyes.

Mei felt strange with his words. She feels like she has heard it or said it. It seems like her dreams are being played right now. She looked down to her feet, trying not to think too much about the similarity in the situation. 

"Are you going home too?"

An abrupt turn of Mei's head surprised Kouichi, he thought if his question was a little too personal. But Mei didn't look offended or shock. On the contrary, he saw the girl blush in front of him. 

Mei bit her lip, then looked away.

"No, I'm staying here."

Kouichi's heart pounded once again, hard against his ribcage. He subtly raised his hand to put it on his raging heart. Then, he cleared his throat.