Remnants of the Past

Note: If you happen to re-read and find it different, it is because I have edited the first chapters in Kouichi's view. Thank you for reading!

When Kouichi arrived at the dorm, he thought he saw a familiar person standing alone like a small child in the corner of the lobby, as if she was hiding herself. Feeling like he had seen her somewhere, he tried to think about the girl he had seen in the lobby as he cleaned the room.

For some reason, he finds it hard to make a name for the girl. But, he is certain that he knew her somewhere before.

After his tiresome cleaning, he felt his muscles ache and so he decided to take a shower and take a nap. Before he chose the bed, he opted to take the smaller one in an effort to avoid becoming unfriendly to his roommate. After his shower, he dried his hair quickly and plopped down on the bed. The image of the girl he saw burning on the back of his mind.

After quite some time, he heard a click from the door and a soft sound of the door opening. Kouichi failed to distinguish the reality from a dream and he didn't find the strength to look up so he stayed in his position. Then, feeling the presence of his roommate sitting down on the bed across from him, he decided to get up and introduce himself.

To say that he is surprised is an understatement, the girl in front of him is the one who invaded the space of his mind just minutes before. And now, she sat in front of him, in the flesh. Somehow, Kouichi found the ability to hide what he thinks or feels easily so he didn't appear to be that surprised at this girl's presence.

Kouichi couldn't look at her at first since his eyes are still half closed but the things around him became gradually clear and he noticed the resemblance of this girl to the one he met years before, especially the two colored eyes.

It's not a feature that he can forget easily.

All his doubts were answered upon hearing her name.

Who would have thought that they would cross paths like this...

The girl blinked as she looked at him. When Kouichi tilted his head to the side, he noticed how the girl flinched a little at his actions. The odd behavior made him question something but he put the thought on the back of his mind then.

He tried to understand that this girl's actions are just a result of some past that he cannot control. He himself has traumatic experiences as well. He decided to be kind to her as much as possible.

The girl stared at him again but this time, she held onto her stare for a much longer duration. Kouichi didn't feel uncomfortable by it but he wonders what she finds interesting in him. He tried to catch her gaze by looking at her directly and meeting her eyes. She abruptly turned her head down and got up.

Kouichi followed her and decided it was best to show her the room.

----------------------------------------------

Kouichi could see the girl nodding as he explained the workings in the room. How to use the shower and the tub, the drawers that they share and the toilet. He would occasionally glance at her to see if he had her full attention and she would nod her head silently. She does not appear to be so frightened now and Kouichi feels that the atmosphere has lightened up a little.

You...why are you here...the man asked himself in a heavy thought. 

Kouichi thought of the voice in his head again, the young boy's voice in his head calling for him.

The girl broke him out of his trance by her question.

"Can I use this drawer?" She looked up at him with her big two-colored eyes. Her face looks beautiful as she looks up at him but she doesn't wear an expression on her face.

Kouichi nodded his head and gave a small smile to Mei, he doesn't usually smile but he felt the urge to smile to make her feel at ease with him.

"Yes, you can use this one." He tapped the drawer which he intentionally left empty for her.

Mei bowed politely and gave him a small awkward smile, the best smile that she could give him, it seems. Kouichi noticed. His feelings became warm as she tried her best to get along with him.

"Thank you so much, Sakakibara-kun."

With that, he left the bathroom and went straight to his bed. Her voice lingered in the air around him for a while and he let out a heavy breath then.

Kouichi then felt an immense amount of feelings from her words and he found himself thinking about the past. Feeling a little tense and confused, he replayed the past in his mind like a movie and saw the beautiful face of the girl from afar.

And a figure of a lonesome boy looking from a distance.

He closed his eyes shut and fell down on the bed again. He knows her but she doesn't have to know that.