Crossing Over

Kouichi looked at her with a curious gaze. He isn't one to get scared from peculiarity. Besides, this girl looks harmless. She seems to be genuinely confused as well. Kouichi's mouth parted to speak but was interrupted by a spontaneous visitor. 

A loud knock from the door came with a loud voice, "Sakakibara-kun!"

Kouichi looked at the door and then at the girl. She didn't move an inch nor gave a sound. The boy gave a sign with his hand that he will take the door where there are visitors outside but instead, he was given with silence. 

The overwhelmed boy went to the door to take it and he saw his two classmates giving him an awkward smile. 

"Sakakibara-kun, how are you? Sorry to stop by and disturb you."

"No, it's okay. Would you like to come in?"

"Oh, thank you so much. We're sorry for visiting at such an untimely hour. "

His classmates apologized as they entered the room. Along with them, Kouichi followed behind and sneaked quick glances at the bed where the girl used to sleep. She was still there and she sat at the corner quietly.

For some reason, his classmates didn't paid any mind on her presence and they instead walked around the room like there were only Kouichi and them. It's very strange to act like that to someone and Kouichi wanted to tell them about her but he didn't even know her name.

"Sakakibara-kun, we would like to tell you something very important since we were informed that you got this room in the dormitory." 

Kouichi nodded, "Oh," He wondered what that would be. He took another glance at the girl again. Biting his lip, he added. "What is it?"

"You aren't supposed to have a roommate in this room."

Ohh, that.

Kouichi nodded, "Yeah, I knew about that."

There was a gloomy air around his two classmates but Kouichi waited for them to give more details because it seemed like they wanted to tell him more. 

"It isn't allowed to have two tenants in this room because there is an ongoing curse in this dormitory. Only one student is ever allowed to live here. Sometimes, no one is ever allowed here at all if the number of students is a little less."

Kouichi couldn't reply. So, that girl must be a ghost.

"Don't try to coexist with anything or anyone in this room. You are the only one here...if you see anything, it's likely that she doesn't exist." His other classmate added. "Don't involve yourself as well...or communicate."

"I see...I understand." Kouichi spared another glance at the girl. She was looking down on the mattress with eyes void of emotion. What could have ever happened to her?

"Sakakibara-kun, it's getting darker now so we will go. You can eat dinner by the dining hall later. You wouldn't get lost in this dormitory. It is not that big."

Kouichi lets out a small laugh. "Okay. Thanks for coming by."

"No worries, it's just an important information."

When his classmates exited the room, Kouichi closed the door with heavy feelings. That girl does look real and tangible to him. Not only that, she seemed to have made a reaction to his classmates. Or maybe...he just wanted to believe that she is not a ghost.

To think that he had to put up with this for three years until graduation...

Closing his eyes, Kouichi inhaled deeply. Walking back to the heart of the room, he saw the girl standing by the bed, looking away from him.