Chapter 1: The Past

It was a calm day in the fire nation, just the gentle sounds of turtle ducks flapping through the water, the smell of warm, spice tea, and the giggle of a young girl sitting on the porch steps while her young friends cart wheeled. (Y/n) loved days like these, where everything felt perfect and that sweet, tight feeling of happiness in her heart. Nothing beat this.

(Y/n) then moved her eyes to the girl beside her, Mai staring quietly at the complaining Azula and bubbly Ty Lee as they 'played'. It was more like a bullying match and Azula always won, but that never stopped them from being friends. (Y/n) was aware of Azula's actual feelings, though she would never talk about it with Ty Lee and Mai because of their loyalty to the princess. The girls were young teens, (Y/n) being 13 while the girls were 11 and 12.

It wasn't their fault that they were so loyal though, they had to be. Their parents were all acquaintances and business partners, which forced their children who were all around the same age to become close enough to spend time together.

Every time (y/n) came over to the palace she hoped she would see the prince. She didn't know her feelings for him completely, but she knew that looking at him made her heart sore and distracted her from practices at times. Luckily she didn't have a mean, per say, teacher, because she trained with her fire master father. He was patient and kind, but still serious when practicing with (y/n). She loved her father, he was all she had. Her mother had passed away when she was born, leaving her only with her father since the rest of their family had been excommunicated for helping Ba Sing Se's upper circle.

(Y/n) widened her eyes when a flash of fire headed her way, causing her to pull herself and Mai down to the grown.

"Your reflexes are surprisingly fast, (y/n). You always look so dumb when stare, or you're day dreaming. I never know the difference." Azula giggled, walking over to the two girls on the ground.

(Y/n) huffed as she sat up, helping Mai sit up. She ignored Azula for now, making sure the raven haired girl next to her was fine. Once Mai nodded her head, she looked up to Azula.

"Really? Thanks princess, I'll make sure to make note of it next time."

(Y/n) then stood up with Mai and walked closer to Azula who smirked. Funny enough, (y/n) was considered Azula's 'best friend' since Mai and Ty Lee were paired. They were basically forced to be.

"If I was smart I would have thought you were speaking back to your highness. I'm waiting for the day you fight me back and I call 'guards! She's attacking me'. Funny, don't you think?" Azula smirked to (y/n) at the end, letting out a natural sinister giggle.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes and gave Azula a playful nudge on her shoulder, then crossed her arms.

"You are smart. And you would love to fight me- if we were allowed to spar you would fire bend at me until I was a pile of ash.. This is what you get for having a fire bending best friend when you could have chose one of the non benders." (Y/n) joked, Azula scoffing playfully.

Just as they were talking, Zuko was walking down the long porch, the boy trying to hide himself once he noticed the four girls. He first took note of Mai, who blushed and looked towards the ground. Then (Y/n), who he had problems thinking about often. He tried to push away the thoughts as he came over to sit with Mai.

Azula tilted her head as Zuko walked closer, smiling fakely and skipped up to him, making the boy take a step back as a retreat.

"Hey Zuzu- You wanna play?" She hummed, Zuko rolling his eyes.