VI

Preparations were in full swing. Marvin was running around like a well-oiled machine, handling everything from decorations to the guest list. The servants were lending hands as they could, each delegated to a duty. Kalli was running the kitchen and working on the catering menu for the event.

Liam was in Zayn's office with his arms outstretched and his chin up. Zayn was sat in a chair to Liam's left while his stylist worked on Liam's suit. She ran a ruler across Liam's shoulders measuring his width. Zayn looked on with pride as the new outfit came together. He took personal joy in getting Liam all dressed up like this, even if it was for another man.

The party was in a couple days and then Liam would be gone. He'd gotten the results back and talked to Liam's future Master last week. He was smitten with the attractive slave instantly. He and Zayn had a lunch and talked about anything and everything Liam. By the end, the new Master was itching to meet his match. And Zayn was already feeling the loss.

"I want the best, Caroline. This party will be very important for Liam."

Caroline nodded in understanding. "Of, course, sir. He'll be the most coveted slave in the room."

Zayn growled at the promise. Even though that's exactly what he wanted, he didn't much like hearing that Liam would be watched by other Masters, much less taken by one. Liam noticed the sound of dominance and snapped his head towards the sound. Zayn pursed his lips in frustration and swallowed to calm himself. "I know you'll do well, Caroline. I have work to attend to. I'll leave you to it."

Liam felt panic run through his veins. "Sir?"

Zayn turned at the name. "Yes, Liam?"

"You won't stay?" He felt slightly whiny asking, but he had so little time left and he wanted Zayn by his side for all of it.

Zayn stamped down the desire to call Liam to him and hold him. "No," he replied shortly. "I have an anniversary party to plan."

Liam turned away from Zayn so that he didn't see the hurt in his eyes. He'd still yet to meet Zayn's slave and he figured he never would. "Of course, forgive me." Zayn walked out and left Caroline to her work.

She pinned a few spots on Liam's jacket before she said, "You're lucky. Mr. Malik seems very fond of you. Most slaves don't receive such open affection from their Masters."

Liam hands clenched into fists. "I'm not his slave."

Caroline paused in her work and came around to Liam's front. "Seriously?"

Liam kept his eyes firm and mouth set. "Yes."

"I had no idea," Caroline admitted with a twitch of her lips. She kept tailoring for a few minutes before speaking again. "Do you wish that were different?"

Liam jumped at her voice, taken from his thoughts. "I, I don't..." He huffed in annoyance at his blundering. "I don't have a say in that matter."

Caroline smoothed out Liam's shoulders and put a few final touches on her work in progress. "I don't know," she countered. "I had to work for my Master and it was the best thing I've ever done."

***

Zayn went downstairs to oversee the party workings with a full mind. He'd left Niall in charge at work so he could take care of the extravagant event, since it was at his home. He'd been home all day yesterday and today, and would be the next two days before the party.

With Liam and him home at the same time their schedules overlapped more often. They'd both be in the gym at the same time and doing more secretive staring than actual working out. They ate meals together at regular times, much to Kalli's approval. Breakfast was a quiet affair, with Zayn barely able to keep his eyes open, but dinners were awkward silences and sporadic small talk.