Chapter 15: Bad One.

April 21st, 1989

April 21st, 1989. 4:02 P.M.

It had been a few months since the boys had talked about the festival plan, but here it was, staring me right in the face. Brian sprawled a map of the grounds on the kitchen table. He highlighted key areas, the best selling points and where security would be.

With double the members that we used to have, this was the next step. Brian and Dallas were urging us to expand. I was the only one with doubts about the whole thing. I liked my little job. I didn't want an expansion.

It wasn't until recently that this plan came into fruition, and now I had to find a way to convince Darry to let me go to a weekend long festival with a bunch of guys... some he hadn't even met.

"I don't know about this." I hesitated, "Darry isn't going to like this very much."

Brian yawned, "Can you at least try?" he pressed, scribbling a pencil down on the map.

I groan, long and exaggerated. It wasn't like I was on the best terms with Darry, even if I was, it's not like he will let me go. His overprotective streak really started to wear me down. Nevertheless, I had to think of a way to go.  

April 22nd, 1989. 10:12 A.M.

The very next morning, I wandered out the front of the house in search of Darry. I thought rejection would be easier to take sooner rather than later, it would give me more time to think of another plan.

I stared out at the old oak trees, the birds chirped around me, as I stepped barefoot onto the porch. Kate shaded her vision from the sun, and glared up at me. In her hand, she held a lemonade, "If your looking for Darry, he's beneath the porch." she said. It was a beautiful spring morning until she opened her mouth. 

"I didn't ask you." I snipped back to her, looking down at the pair of legs sticking out from under the porch.

Darry crawled out of the tight space and sat up, covered in cobwebs. He dusts himself off as Kate hands him the glass, "Lemonade?" he asked, swirling it around. She hummed a reply. He disregarded the straw, and chugged the entire beverage down in seconds, that's when he caught me standing there. 

"I'm guessing you want me for something?" he grinned, seemingly happier than he had been in weeks with me.

I settled down on the edge of the porch, clamping my hands together, "I wanted to know if I could go on a super educational trip with Brian this weekend." I asked him just as I had rehearsed in front of the vanity earlier. 

"Mmm..."  

"It's a festival, and before you say no, it's a very cultural and enriching experience." I added before he could come to a conclusion. 

He was at a crossroad. Darry wouldn't stop me from growing upon my education, but he wouldn't just send me off to god knows where, with god knows who, "And where is this festival?"

I had to lie about it, "About twenty minutes." I smiled, it was easily double that. 

"The Happy-Go-Lucky festival?" Kate piped up when I wished she hadn't, "Isn't that a festival for all those hippie types?"

"I didn't ask you." I mumbled, hoping they wouldn't hear me, even though I just blatantly said it aloud for all to hear.  

"That's it! you're not going!" snapped Darry, "I'm sick and tired of you always being rude to Kate. She's staying whether you like it or not!"  his voice hissed vapidly. 

I think about objecting and arguing the point with him, deep down I knew it would lead no where fast. He was standing his ground about this, and it was my turn to stand mine... 

April 25th, 1989. 6:52 A.M.

It was still dark outside when I climbed from the bedroom window with a bag full of clothes. I took one last look inside the room, at the envelope that rested upon the pillowcase. I didn't want to have to do this, but I was left with no choice.

The letter detailed where I could be found, when I would be back. It was a selfish thing to do, to such a selfless person, but that was the person I was turning into. A bad one.

I hit the road, needing to leave before anyone would wake up and come after me. It felt nice having the morning crisp breeze against my face, almost freeing in a sense. I swing the bag over my shoulder, and tattered downtown.