Kindness | Claude x Reader

Written: 31-08-2021

➳ Modern AU

A few days ago, I met a hater and the comments cracked me up. Don't like my book or the way I write? Just fuck off, and go write your own 'cause no one's stopping you, honestly ꈍᴗꈍ

Was jamming to The Winking Owl as I write.

We'll meet a soft Claude here ٩(๑> ₃ <)۶♥ And yes, males can cry and feel vulnerable too.

»»—-—««

Sighing loudly, Claude tossed the phone aside and flopped back onto his bed as negative thoughts eat at his brain. Can't this day get any worse? The screen on his phone lit up brightly as it displayed a list of notifications. And yet, another hate comment.

As a leisure writer, he does not expect his book to be flawless, void of grammatical and spelling errors. However, there is one thing he knew for sure: every chapter contains the time and painstaking effort he has put into it. And he is proud of his book.

Let's talk about it. Many readers aren't aware that writers often faced a brick wall during writing. They often lose the motivation to continue as they ran out of energy and ideas. Writers appreciate positive comments left by their readers because it spurs them on. However, at times, they are also unable to overlook the unwanted negativity flooding their written works.

Claude could tolerate constructive criticisms, but when hate got thrown in, that is his tipping point. He never understands how readers can make unpleasant comments behind their screens under pseudonyms. It's disgusting. Are they jealous? He does not know.

The brown-haired male threw the covers of his head and curled further into the sheets, wanting to shut himself off from this wicked world. While he can brush off most of the terrible remarks, he could not do it this time. The more he thought about them, the more he started questioning his ability to write. Unaware that he is deeply affected, he got taken aback when his vision blurs with unshed tears.

"Claude, are you there?" You stood in the hallways of the dorm and knocked on the door of the said male, momentarily breaking him out of his thoughts. Hearing some rustling noises coming from inside the room, you decided to let yourself into it. "I'm coming in."

"I heard from your classmates that you're feeling under the weather." You softly shut the door before turning around. However, you staggered backwards a little upon seeing the bundle of sheets on the bed.

Shuffling closer to the bed, you warily prodded the suspicious bundle. "Sweetcheeks, are you in there?"

"Yeah..." A brief moment of silence hung in the air before your boyfriend decided to speak up, the sheets effectively muffling the croak in his voice.

"Did you catch a cold?"

"No..."

"What's wrong, baby?" You pried further as you sat on the side of the bed. "Let me see you, hmm?"

"It's an embarrassing sight." Fists clenching the sheets in a hold, Claude further tightened his grip and pulled them closer to his body.

"I've seen you even worse than this. You know I won't judge you." Voice lacing with concern, you tried to coax the male out of the sheets as worry took over your features. He is rarely out of his element, and when he is, you knew it's big time.

Despite being in this state of vulnerability, Claude felt at ease. And just like the crumbling walls around his heart, the covers fell off, revealing a disheartened male. You noticed the sad look on his face, and you were quick to crawl into his lap and have him in your arms.

"What happened, love?" Cupping the sides of your boyfriend's face, you rested your forehead against his as you softly stroked his cheeks with the pad of your thumbs. You could feel the sadness radiating off him flowing into your body, and your mood now mirrored his. Like knives carved into your heart, it greatly pained you to see him in this shape, and you yearned to chase his troubles away.

Claude let out a defeated sigh as his arms went around your torso and pulled you closer. He hid in the curve of your neck and tightened his hold on you. The poor soul is currently in need of a hug to quell his inner demons, and he could feel his tensed shoulders starting to relax when you reciprocated. "It's the same thing every day."

"Aww, babe. You are one of the best writers I've ever known. Those mean people hate to admit that they are just green with envy. Don't take them to heart and let them downplay your worth." Hand threading through his brown locks, your words are a whisper as you tried to console your boyfriend. "They have too much time in the world to pick on anything they deemed an eyesore."

"Furthermore, those haters are only as good as keyboard warriors. Other than that, they are nothing but cowards who hide and fire nasty comments away." You harrumphed, feeling more agitated as you remembered those awful words you saw below in the comment section of Claude's e-book.

"Why are you the one getting angry?" The corners of his eyes crinkled as your long rant elicited a small chuckle from your boyfriend. You could see the shine returning to those hazel orbs you adore.

"Now that's music to my ears," you cooed adorably. You will do anything within reach to cheer your boyfriend up. "If it ever boils down to us against the world, I am always with you. If you can't find it in yourself to feel angry, then let me do it on your behalf. And we will get a kick out of it."

"And you know what's the best way to retaliate?" The male pulled back questioningly. "We kill them with kindness."

"You always have a way with words," Claude let out a contented sigh as he gazed at you with a certain kind of fondness. You are his greatest blessing, and he would not trade it for the world.

Like a magical potion, Claude could feel the aftereffects of your words. Those negative emotions swirling within him allayed before dissipating into thin air. "Has anyone tell you that you're the most beautiful person to walk this land?"

"Yep, a certain male does it every day." You cheekily played along and peppered chaste kisses all over his face. "And he just so happens to be my lovable boyfriend."

"(Y/N)?" Claude murmured, and you hummed in response. "Thank you."

You leaned forward, pushing Claude onto his back against the pillows as you slumped over him. Sending him a closed-eye smile, you pecked the underside of his jaw and snuggled into his embrace. He could stay in this moment forever.

It's often the little acts of kindness that can create the most impact. Though being kind requires effort, it makes you feel a better person. If it proves difficult for you to compliment others, won't it be better to keep the unkind comments to yourself? That is one of the basics of being a decent human being.

Please keep in mind that kindness goes a long way.

»»—-—««