Chapter 15:The Black Fortress

They stopped. "There is something there" said Juralen, enhancing his sight. His eyes widened. "What do you see?" asked Talaeos. "A huge, black fortress... Wait... no... impossible" Juralen trailed off. "What- "Rakka Garraz." "But we destroyed it decades ago!" said Kortea. "It has been rebuilt. We have to alert them" Juralen said, bringing two fingers to his temple.

"Ilantra, Eon, Rokitas, Ritalin, Oreana, Giarna, if you can hear us, respond" he said quietly, concentrating on the flow of magic.

"Nothing. I can't contact them. Something is blocking my attempts" he shook his head. "We will do this ourselves, then" said Talaeos. Juralen held him back. "Some of us should stay here. Jukira, Ernea, Laita and Caelorn. Wait here. If we don't come back by tomorrow night, go. Alert the Council and the Elders", he said. "But- "No. If we all go, and all of us are killed, Keltorea is lost", Juralen said.

Juralen, Kortea, Talaeos and Lumaira approached Rakka Garraz.

Half an hour later, they stood before the gate, the fortress looming over them, immense power radiating from it. Juralen led the way, opening the gates with a wave of his hand. They then entered the main building.

"I have a bad feeling about this", Juralen said. "Too easy." "Well, we might as well take advantage of this while we have the chance", Talaeos said. "We should still be careful, however", Juralen muttered.

They kept moving, and entered a large throne room. Suddenly, the lights activated. Several dozen shapes dropped down around them.

"Talaeos and Juralen Aceltor. Kortea Skallos and Lumaira Korukal. Welcome to my humble abode", came a deep voice, sending chills down their backs. Another shape rose from the throne.

"Mandraesyr" Lumaira said, turning to him

"Mandraesyr" Lumaira said, turning to him. "Yes. I am back" Mandraesyr said. "Where are Haarzen and Casar?" Juralen demanded. "Out hunting your friends. They are almost at your camp, along with a few old allies" Mandraesyr said, walking down from the pedestal. "You can not contact them. You lost that ability the moment you touched the gate. No help will come to you." "Then we shall end you here and now. Once and for all" Talaeos said. "Even if you defeat me, and you won't, Kanratur and Hurzalas will take Keltorea, and your order shall be destroyed, along with Xular. Not one of you shall leave Rakka Garraz alive" Mandraesyr scoffed.

"You can not hold us down" Talaeos said, channeling light. "I do not have to. Leave Talaeos alive. I promised Haarzen the chance to kill him personally. End the rest" he ordered. The shapes drew their weapons, and attacked.

Talaeos blocked several darksword attacks and blasted the Tearia with his eyebeams. He cut down another with a cut to the neck, and unleashed a telekinetic wave, scattering a few others. Juralen and Lumaira blasted a few with their pistols, and Kortea hurled her sunsword at another group, cutting all of them down. She retrieved the weapon with telekinesis and blocked a deathblow aimed at Juralen.

Lumaira and Talaeos worked together, protecting each other. "Talaeos, you are the only one he doesn't want to kill. Attack him! We shall hold them off", said Kortea. Talaeos nodded and rushed towards Mandraesyr, leaping over an attack. Kortea, Lumaira and Juralen protected him.

He pushed away a Tearia and unleashed a beam of light, which Mandraesyr casually absorbed. Talaeos sent out lightning and telekinesis, but Mandraesyr effortlessly blocked his attacks. Talaeos attacked with his sunsword, but his foe easily dodged his strikes, toying with him.

Lumaira cut down the last Tearia and they rushed to Talaeos's side.

As they attacked, Mandraesyr held out his hand, and they froze, pinned by his power. "Lumaira, Juralen, Kortea, I shall enjoy watching you die" he said. Juralen's eyes glowed bright red, and, somewhat reluctantly, he thrust his sunsword into Lumaira's abdomen. She gasped. "NO!" Talaeos tried to free himself, but his foe was too powerful. He was forced to watch, as Juralen turned on Kortea, showering her with his powers.

"It's over. You have lost" Mandraesyr waved his hand, and Talaeos collapsed, unconscious.

...

Jukira panted, as she impaled another Tearia through the neck. Caelorn and Ernea attacked Haarzen, while Laita fought off another Tearia.

Suddenly, two more appeared, and attacked her. Jukira threw up a lightning shield, throwing them back. She attacked with her sunspear, and called down lightning from the sky, channeling it through her body, along the blade of her weapon. The lightning split in two streaks, each shooting toward one of the two Tearia.

Halon and Echeras blocked the lightning with their darkblades. They retaliated with dark energy, which Jukira met with light. She channeled light into her body, and attacked with renewed strength and speed.

They fought for another hour, at which point Caelorn, Ernea and Laita were exhausted. Jukira herself could barely fight. Halon and Echeras pressed her, and Halon disarmed her.

Caelorn and Ernea were sent to the snow with a telekinetic burst, and pinned with ice. Laita lay next to them, barely alive. Echeras cut Jukira on the gut, and swept her off her feet. Just as they closed around them, green light erupted, and everything went black.

Xular stood over them, leaning on his staff. His tired eyes fell on the black fortress, and he clenched his fist. "I am coming for you, Mandraesyr. I am coming" he said through gritted teeth.

...

Talaeos's eyes snapped open, and he sat up. Kortea and Juralen were still fighting, and Lumaira lay on the floor a few feet away from him. He knelt down next to her, checking her pulse. She was still alive, but barely. He channeled what light he dared into her wound, easing her pain. She grasped his hand. "Can you fight?" Talaeos asked. "I think so. We have to kill him now" Lumaira replied, sitting up. He helped her to her feet, and she retrieved her weapon. "Together", Talaeos said, grasping her shoulder. They rushed at Mandraesyr, but he froze them before they could strike. "You recovered faster than I expected. Admirable. But this fight is over. The attack on Keltorea is already underway. Our forces are approaching. You are too late" he said.

"Not yet", a familiar voice stated. Suddenly, Mandraesyr's spell weakened, and broke, leaving them free once again. "How?"

Xular raised his staff, and struck the floor, sending a beam of green energy at Mandraesyr, breaking through his defenses, and crashed into him. "Talaeos, Lumaira, get Juralen and Kortea and go" he said. "What about Jukira and the others?" asked Lumaira. "I already transported them back to Vanraael. You have to warn the Council" Xular replied. "What about you? Aren't you coming with us?" Talaeos said. "No. I will fight him. I might even get lucky and kill him, but at least injure him." "We need you" Lumaira said. "I lived for too long. The power I have won't last me much longer. I might as well use what I have left to knock him out of the war. Now go. He is getting back up" Xular said. "May fortune be with you." "And with you, old friend" Talaeos said, gripping his forearm firmly.

Talaeos, Lumaira, Kortea and Juralen made their way out of Rakka Garraz, and returned to the snow bison. They set off, back towards Keltorea.