24. Accidents Happen

Blade placed the sisters down gently on the Queen-size bed that now rested in her room, across from her much larger cot. They were still passed out, both exhausted from the long day they’d had. One had been resurrected from the dead, and the other had mourned the loss before facing the reality of her return. A total whiplash, really, for the both of them.

        “StarBreak!”

        Shaking her helm quickly, Blade bit her lower lip before sitting down on her cot. “Time for recharge,” she muttered. The voices, the shadows, were more often than not her indicator of having exhausted herself extensively. Tonight would likely be one filled with nightmares of her past life, her former spark.

        “Jay . . .” She mumbled, lying down on the berth. “What did she do this time?”

        ~~~

        The enemy fire was heavy as it bore down on them. “I told you, you need to choose! Jay, it isn’t fair to them! Who the frag means more? You can’t just keep secrets and run around like this! You’re . . . You’re not like this, JumpStart. You want to give her your spark, don’t you?”

        “You know I do!” Jay shot back. “But Elita . . .” Jay shook his helm heavily. “She’s throwing me off, Jackie! I don’t know what to do about it anymore! Star’s . . . Star, but Elita just . . . I don’t know what she is or what she’s done to me, but she’s different, all right?”

        “You’re only wondering what it’d be like to have something different, Start,” WheelJack answered. “You know who your spark belongs to.”

        “Yeah, JumpStart,” she spoke up from where she’d hidden behind the destroyed pillar. “You know who your spark belongs to, don’t you?”

        “Star,” Jay muttered breathlessly. “You-.”

        “I heard enough, Jay!” She shouted. “Guess I’m just an accident, huh? Go play with Elita. I’m sure she’ll save your sorry tailpipe on the battlefield as much as I did.” Turning, Star transformed to her vehicle mode, driving off as quickly as she could, ignoring the way JumpStart called out for her. The sounds of “StarBreak!” were soon lost to the crossfire, and she felt awful about leaving WheelJack without helping, but right now, right now, JumpStart could perish and she wouldn’t care.

        Would she?

        Screeching to a stop and screaming in frustration, StarBreak sped back towards where the two mechs were hunkered down, attempting to hold back enemy fire.

        “We’re being surrounded!” WheelJack pointed out. “Is that unit on their way for backup or what?”

        Transforming, StarBreak leapt through the air, cannons firing rapidly at the Decepticons that were encompassing the hiding spot of WheelJack and JumpStart. By the time she began to descend, she’d already slaughtered nearly a dozen of them, each shot going straight into their sparks or helms.

        As she hit the ground, she ripped her daggers against the throats of two more drones, the both of them bleeding out almost instantly. Dodging a few shots from the droids, StarBreak wove in between them, firing with the highest accuracy possible, Decepticons dropping left and right.

        Her spark ached madly, but StarBreak didn’t stop. She refused. So the shots kept coming as she avoided being struck, her peds used when one got too close, daggers being thrown in between cannon fire.