15. Taken

Blade vented, greatly irritated with Angel’s behavior, as the dust finally settled. “I can’t believe you would be so foolish,” the green femme muttered. “Let’s just hurdle a flying rock at someone who’s on our side!”

        “Hey now, Darling,” Angel argued calmly. “I don’t know about you, but I, personally, can neither, confirm nor deny her allegiance to the Autobots. It certainly doesn’t seem so when she’s suddenly vanished, now does it? If you ask me, it’s a bit shady.”

        Crossing her arms, Blade stopped in her tracks to glare down at Angel. “You sent a meteor at her. She probably got thrown somewhere from the impact of it. She was mid-flight when that thing struck. Thanks for that, by the way. I’m sure that’ll attract the local authorities. Just what we need. Let’s explain away metal-dragon-girl, giant-metal-girl and the vanishing act.”

        “I’m still here, aren’t I?” Angel asked skeptically, placing her hands on her hips.

        Venting again, Blade turned away from her. “Come on. We need to find BlackLight before someone else does.” At the words, JewelBlade’s spark tightened in its chamber. ‘Too late,’ a small voice said, but she ignored the quiet warning and kept searching for BlackLight, becoming quite aware by the second that it was pointless. Still, she chose to dismiss the thoughts that were bothering her processor, her optics searching for the . . . ‘unique’ Autobot known as BlackLight. Such an unusual situation it was. But was it so different from other things she’d experienced? Was it any more challenging?

        Blade supposed it wasn’t so horrid. After all, she’d spent how long in space to find Aura and CopperClaw? Again, her spark clenched. That journey had caused her to become distanced from Optimus and that fact stabbed at her spark every day. Would it have killed her to have just sent a team of those she trusted to retrieve Aura? And what about Ratchet and MoonShadow? Their interactions hadn’t suffered from the time apart, and those two hadn’t even had the dreams she and Optimus had had.

        With a slow, steadying, shuddering vent, Blade wondered if maybe those dreams were the reason she’d lost him. Had she made it too easy for him? Had her eager nature caused him to lose interest in her?

        No. That couldn’t be. Blade assured herself of as much as she shook her helm. Optimus wasn’t that sort. He would never turn his back on her for something so petty. So again, her mind went back to the other thing that had changed, that had affected them and not the other pair: BlackLight. Her presence was a wedge driven between herself and the Prime. The thought made her spark ache. It was so hard to protect someone who had caused a gap between her and the mech she loved.

        ‘If he doesn’t want you, then you certainly don’t need him,’ Blade thought, trying to reassure herself that she would be fine, with or without the Prime in her life. It was a hard thing to move past. ‘Get a hold of yourself!’ Forcing out a hiss, Blade ground her denta. ‘You have never needed anyone. You want them, but you do not need. You are strong. You are beautiful. You are a warrior. And with or without the Prime, or anyone else for that matter, you will push on. Certainly he’ll still . . . He’ll still be your friend. You still have the Autobots. They are your family. They are support enough without having the Prime in . . . that way . . .’

        Aching and feeling broken from the thought of giving up on the Prime, Blade forced herself to feel okay for now and to push on. She would find the young femme known as BlackLight and return her to the base. She would carry on and face the world.

        Because eventually, hopefully soon, the aches would cease and her spark would stop punishing her. She was Cybertronian now. Being with another Cybertronian was not commonplace, it was a bonus. A perk. If it happened at all, it was to be cherished and savored. After her stunt with Megatron, she supposed she deserved this.