29. Back

When a helm poked curiously into my room, it wasn't the one I'd expected. I looked up hopefully, but it wasn't Optimus. I missed him dearly, and my spark skipped at the thought of his return.

No, it wasn't Optimus. Just Ratchet. No offense to the medic. "JewelBlade, the Autobots are running behind on their mission, could you go pick up the humans?"

Certainly not what I'd been expecting, but at least it was something to do. "Oh, um, yeah Ratchet, of course. I'd love to." Honestly, I'd kind of forgotten that I hadn't seen Miko at all since my return. I'd missed the girl fiercely.

Ratchet gave a small nod. "Thank you. They're already waiting."

"Consider me gone." I stood up and walked out of my room, not far behind Ratchet, but when we reached a certain point, he went back to the infirmary and I hit the exit, transforming to my ground vehicle mode as I drove out of the base and down the road. It didn't take too long, to get there, but the drive was long than it had been from our former base. The town and school looked how I remembered them. Peaceful and quiet.

As if giant alien robots weren't just miles away.

I pulled into the near-empty parking lot, saw the trio and honked loudly.

"Hey!" Miko shouted in response. "Keep it down, would ya?" She didn't even glance up from her sketch pad.

"Uh, Miko . . ." Jack called gently.

"What?" She asked irritably. I honked again, and she finally looked over. Her eyes widened and I saw a smile hit her face like a fast-pitch baseball. "JEWEL!" Miko screamed, excitedly this time. She grabbed her stuff and ran over, jumping into the driver's seat comfortably. "Oh my gosh, where have you been?"

I smiled internally, amused at her concern. "In outer space, Kiddo, remember?"

"Well duh-," she answered as Jack climbed into the driver's seat and Raf into the back. "But I heard you made it back a while ago. Where have you been hiding?" She leaned in and whispered, adding, "Because I'd like to use it for when I'm in trouble."

I felt like smiling at her motives. Same old Miko, that's for sure. "I had some things that came up, Miko, including a girl named BlackLight and a girl named CopperMist. New additions to the team. Both are . . . Techno-organics or something like that. BlackLight is also half-predacon."

"What?" Miko exclaimed, completely psyched at the prospect. "Awesome! Dude, this is why you're my girl."

"Your girl?" I asked skeptically.

"Yup," Miko said confidently as I drove out of the parking lot. "Bulk's my guy, and you're my girl."

"Well, no offense," I told her, "but you will have to share."

"What? Why?" Miko asked with a pout.

"I'm Li's guardian now," I informed her.

"Awww," Miko whined. "Does she at least like dune-bashing?"

I thought about it, but wasn't sure. She did strike me as the type to like destroying things, though. Well, sand dunes, at least.

"I don't know, but you can find out when she comes back from training."

"Oh, you know I will!" Miko said confidently.

Something else came to me, though. "By the way, Miko, if we get pulled over-."

"Don't worry about it!" As if she read my mind, Miko wallet, which looked an awful lot like a black pencil case with skulls, and pulled out a driver's license. She held it in plain view for me to see. "I just got it two weeks ago! I wanted to surprise you when you got back!" Again, I felt like smiling; Miko was so driven lately, and I just wished I could somehow funnel that into her schoolwork.