Chapter Nine

Alexis did Daysia's make-up in earth's tones. Alexis was even shocked at the vision before her. Daysia was SO beautiful. She held up a mirror so Daysia could see herself.

"How does it look?" Daysia asked examining herself in the mirror.

"You look... beautiful." Alexis replied.

Her words prompted Daysia to look up at Alexis. For one short moment they were both there looking into each others eyes. In that moment the whole world ceased to be and it was just Alexis and Daysia. Alexis glanced down, the emotions inside her becoming too much.

"What's that?" Daysia asked. And Alexis realized that her sleeve had slipped revealing last nights cuts.

Alexis guiltily covered her arm, "Nothing."

"You're lying to me." Daysia said darting forward to grab Alexis' arm.

Alexis shrunk back trying to avoid Daysia's grasp, but to no avail. Daysia ripped off the sleeve, and they both froze. Daysia examined each cut running her thumb over them as she did. Then she looked up at Alexis with tear filled eyes. Alexis felt a pang in her chest at the sight of Daysia so broken because of something she had done.

They stayed like that for a moment, each just staring at the other, both of their eyes filled with tears.

"Daysia... Please..." Alexis tried.

"No. You promised." Daysia said.

"I know," Alexis said. "You promised that you wouldn't get high and I promised I wouldn't cut myself. You got high, so I cut myself."

The look on Daysia's face became even more upset if that was possible. "This is because of me?" She asked.

"You hurt me when you broke your promise. I don't know how to deal with physical pain, so this is how I deal." Alexis answered.

Daysia nodded and dropped Alexis' arm. She turned away from Alexis. Alexis pulled her back and hugged her tightly. Alexis took a deep breath allowing herself to smell Daysia's intoxicating scent. Tears streamed down Alexis' cheeks as she felt Daysia sob against her. Alexis began stroking Daysia's hair and whispering, "I'll stop if you do. I'll stop if you do."

Daysia nodded against Alexis' shoulder. Alexis grasped Daysia's shoulders and pushed her back until she was far enough back that Alexis could look deep into her eyes.

"I will always be here for you, if you are always here for me. You be there for me and I'll be there for you. We will take care of each other and make sure we don't need to hurt ourselves because of the people we are surrounded by. WE will care for each other. No matter what." Daysia nodded. "Promise me."

"I promise," Daysia said as she pulled Alexis closer. Alexis' tear streaked cheeks turned up into a smile because she knew this was it. Daysia and she would always have each other now.