Chapter 44

RPOV

I never liked needles, but I was slowly getting used to them. They had been prodding and poking me for two hours now. They had taken blood, urine, hair and God knows what else. They were currently taking me to the hospital chapel to see if I could enter. There were still six guardians on my tail.

After I safely entered the church they pulled out a stake.

"You mind?" One of the guardians asked. Mind what? Get staked and see if I die? But I guess he just wanted a small wound to see if it would burn. I sighed and took the stake from him. I put it on my other hand and pulled it down, making a small wound.

"Ouch."

All the guardians closed in around me. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, a stake in my hand actually hurts, who would have thought." I said sarcastically.

After that we moved out of the chapel. We walked across the hall in the hospital. I don't think anyone was supposed to be here. This had all been a bit hush hush.

"Hey lady, why do you have so many guardians around? Did you do something bad?"

There was a small Moroi boy standing in front of the line of guardians keeping the public 'safe' from me.

I crouched down and winked at the small boy.

"Nope. I am just that important, they can't leave me out of their sight or something might happen to me."

I saw the boy lit up in wonder.

"Are you a princess? I have never seen that many guards?"

I stood up and put my hand to my mouth.

"Well, I am married to someone who is related to the queen and my father is quite powerful, but no I am not a princess. I am just that much trouble to keep in line."

I winked at the closest guardian to me and he generally looked scared.

"Let's go Miss Hathaway, we are to escort you to guest housing while we wait for the test results."

I patted the boy on the head before walking away. I swear one of the guardians nearly had a fit. But the leader who had just spoken shot him down with one look.

"It's Mrs. Hathaway." I said for what felt like the millionth time.

"Oh?"

The head guardian turned around.

"Who is the unfortunate man, or woman? I am not judging."

"Unfortunate?"

"Well you did describe yourself as a lot of trouble and I imagined you were right. I heard you are Abe Mazur's daughter. That has to come with certain genetic baggage."

I smiled at him for that one. He had no idea.

"He is very capable of keeping me in check. Actually he is kind of the only one. Probably the reason I married him."

I thought I heard him murmur 'poor bastard' when we left the hospital to go to guest housing.

The head guardian opened a door in guest housing and I saw Dimitri and Adrian standing on the other side of the door. I didn't even have to think about it. I ran up to Dimitri and jumped in his arms. He lifted me up and buried his face in my hair. A saw a few guardians react as if I was going to hurt Dimitri, but they quickly realized I wasn't strangling him, just hugging him.

He put me down on the ground and looked at me. Stroking my hair and cupping my face.

"They didn't hurt you, did they?" He looked over at the guardians menacingly. If I answered yes he would have decked every last one of them. I just shook my head.