Chapter Thirteen

Somehow I found myself in another office. There were cubical with posters of female Asian singers half-dressed and winking at the camera. This station was probably all men from the looks of it. But I found a poster with a male Asian singer with a scarf wrapped tightly around his shoulders with his thumbs hooked to the rim of his jeans, perhaps not all men were equal working here.

I went around the cubicles to find a workspace with metal computers and red desktops aligned in a neat, almost perfect row. Maybe not only were they women (and one men) hungry men, but hardworking men also.

I went to the wall to spot a dry erase board hanging with a calendar on the side. It was August 7th, only one day after I was assigned to Naomi back in the hospital. How could this be?

On the board I saw a fading image a little girl, sketched in black marker. It looked like it could be Naomi when she was younger, but it was impossible to tell now because of how faded the image was.

Set on top the workshop was a torn family picture. I recognized it as the one I saw on the office’s screensaver. But this one had color, and I didn’t know if I could see the family’s faces, I only got the possible left-bottom corner of the whole image.

Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something scamper through the shadows. That was probably just my own mind playing tricks on me. I didn’t have time for this now.

Also on the workspace was a pink slip. I picked up the memo to see that the number “2” was stamped in the middle square, the others numbers faded. What will “92_” answer anyways? I guess I’ll find out very soon.

Going back out into the hallway and to the women’s bathroom I collected the last pin number, a “6,” on the floor by a stall. I felt like I was placing a bundle of hope instead of a bloodied pink slip of paper inside my pocket now. With a hop-skip I exited the bathroom.

Almost too excitedly I punched in the code in the padlock on the door at the end of the hallway and waited. Soon the door swung open by itself, and peering inside I saw it was the technician’s room, exactly what I needed.

Just then I realized that I had no experience with such technology. I was only a nurse, not good in anything but medical needs.

There was a button that said “ON” and it was blinking with red glow. Taking an uneasy breath I pressed it and held it for a few seconds until it turned green. I stood back and watched as the machine hummed with power. But overtop of it coming from the ceiling was stringy, unwashed hair.

I stood with horror, gripping my flashlight fiercely. This was a small room and the odds were just as small escaping.

Kaiju sprung from the ceiling, but apparently the lower half of her body was stuck. As she desperately groped at me I ran to the door, but when I glanced back she was gone. How many illusions will come tonight?

When I was in the hallway I heard the creaking of a door opening. I turned back to the technician’s room to see that the door was slowly swinging itself open. I braced myself for whatever horrible creature that must be hiding inside.

As always it was Kaiju, she was on her hands and knees, reminding me of a monkey about to jump on another tree branch.

I ran down the colored halls, turning around to see that she was still following me. This was reality now.

I took turns down the hallway based on my fading memory, and finally I reached the glowing signed door that read “Exit.” When I reached for the handle a bright flash of white light stopped me and Kaiju was gone once more.

I heard that odd sound of Kaiju’s eyes toggling and I turned around. She wasn’t behind me, the door hadn’t opened by itself, and she wasn’t in the window glass.

Despite the facts I halted in my tracks. Kaiju appeared right front of me and pounced atop of me. I looked straight into her eyes, the rings around hers were blood red and she was staring right into mine.