Chapter Fourteen

When my head cleared and vision returned (I didn’t remember being knocked out but this wasn’t unnatural now) I was standing in front of a gate leading to a modern house. It didn’t exactly looked “abandoned” but worn down, as if too many people had come and gone.

I took a deep breath, which for some reason felt like my final one, and opened the gate. I then opened the front door, which was surprisingly unlocked, and entered, feeling like a major intruder.

The house immediately started to a staircase, china was scattered all over the floor along with decaying flower petals. I turned around to the door to see that Kaiju’s hair had fiercely woven around it, locking me inside. This is it.

Too nervous to take the stairs I went into the small hallway that had a few doors. I selected the one on my left and entered. It only led to a bathroom and another door. I heard a hissing coming from the bathroom’s tub and that only hurried me on to the next room.

A telephone starting ringing from an unknown room; my heart quickly started pumping blood throughout my body, I froze in my tracks. Could that sound attract something, or somebody? I had to stop it.

I went back to the main room and, despite my conscious, ascended the staircase.

The first door I came upon led to a room that only had a bed inside. The covers had a simple pink floral pattern and there was an alarm clock overhead, it read that it was five minutes until three. I don’t even remember what time this nightmare started anymore.

I opened the closet door on the far right of the room; a black cat immediately pranced on my face and scratched my forehead before racing out the room. I rubbed the cut and opened the door farther. Naoki patted his knees before somehow running into the darkness of the closet. Kaiju must be close by now.

I picked up a small room key inside before closing the closet.

I turned back to the door to see that the cat had not left the room, but was instead staring down the hall. When I took a step toward it the cat looked up at me and mewed as if it was innocent of any deed.

I heard another mewing and turned to the bed to see that at least ten black cats were seated on it, staring with their wide green feline eyes in anticipation at me.

One after another each cat took turns taking a swipe at my face; I threw them off of me. I was sure that when this was over my face would look like I loss horribly in a fight.

I went downstairs back to the small hallway and unlocked the door on the right. It led to a living room which was greatly trashed by the previous residents in this home.

On the coffee table was a spilled soda, an empty bag of chips, some stray beads of rice, and a few broken wooden chopsticks. Perhaps this family or person went crazy after eating a meal.

I went to the doors on the side that led to a kitchen. A grey flash of light appeared and Kaiju was there, standing with her back toward me and her gown having much more blood than usual.

I didn’t recall her turning around before pinning me to the ground. An odd wave of calm took me for some reason. My mind must have gotten used to her illusions, and it was correct, she disappeared.

I went to the wooden dining table and picked up another room key from it. Wonder where this one leads to.