Chapter Four

Standing in front of me was Naomi. And yet it wasn’t her. Instead of her long, curly brunette hair and neat appearance her hair was along the floor in strings and blood coated her arms. Her eyes turned from light brown to bright crimson in seconds.

“Naomi-kun…” I breathed aloud to see if this was real.

She then took a step toward me, revealing her greyed legs from underneath the thin sheet of her gown. I was in a state of shock. Questions that could not be answered raced through my mind.

When she was only inches away from me I snapped out of it, Run! my brain screamed. Thankfully I pivoted on my heels and ran down the hallway. If not for the flashlight I would’ve bumped right into Naomi, it was like a ray of hope for me now.

Another heavyset metal door came into view. Melted on the front was “Storage Room.” With much effort I swung the door open and didn’t bother to noiselessly shut it behind me. I turned off the flashlight despite the pitch-blankness and graciously pressed my back against the door.

With difficulty I controlled my breathing. I was close to hyperventilating, eventually it returned to its normal pattern.

Kaiju,” a voice rumbled. I stood, but much too quickly for I fell back to the ground. “Kaiju,” turning on my flashlight desperately Naoki came into the clear. His eyes widened and also turned blood red and he pointed behind me, “Kaiju.” He repeated.

I looked behind me, and it was a Kaiju, a monster, indeed. Naomi glared at me from behind her strings for hair. I impulsively glanced behind me to see that Naoki had disappeared, leaving me alone with Naomi, or should I say Kaiju.

I ran once more, hopefully in the direction where Naoki went off to. Another door came, leading to the upper ground courtyard where the nurses usually ate lunch at break. But now it seemed like a deserted wasteland. The tables and chairs flipped, trash littered on the ground, the grass was browned. This was a disaster.

I could hear Kaiju growl behind me, to see that she was not chasing after me by running, but by crawling at an incredible speed.  Not even that, she was dragging her body across the courtyard, getting twigs and leaves caught in her gown and hair.

I turned back too late, a bike rack was in front of me and I tripped. Kaiju took the opportunity and pounced on me, wrapping her clammy fingers around my neck. But right as she squeezed she disappeared into thin air, leaving mystification in the atmosphere.