Chapter Three

When I awoke it was the late afternoon. Apparently it had rained, for overcast was still in the sky. When I reentered Naomi’s room it was empty, not even her brother was there.

“Rei-chan,” I called, but no answer. Not even in the hallway. Looking around I noticed that no one was in the hallway, possibly no one in the hospital.

“Somebody,” I screamed, “anybody here?” Yet no answer came. I leaned against the wall because of the gurgling of my stomach and the frustration of my mind. What had happened?

The fluorescent lights begun flickering and then they finally shut down completely. An unsettling panic aroused in me. Everything was becoming more and more confusing. I regretted taking that nap.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway in my direction. The panicky feeling increased, and I ran inside the nearest room and carefully locked the door behind me. The footsteps came closer and paused outside of my door, I bit my tongue and stopped my hands from shaking, was this the end?

Then the footsteps continued down the hall, I didn’t unlock the door until the sound completely disappeared. I knew that I had to escape this hospital now, but from all the twists and turns here I knew that I’ll simply get lost in the dark. I needed to find a source of light, there has to be an emergency preparedness kit with a flashlight around here somewhere.

I walked out into the hallway and pressed my hand against the wall, I felt more doors, unsuccessful light switch, and even a window until I finally felt a cold metal box.

Opening it I heard its entire contents spill, making a loud clattering noise in the process. Nervously I felt around the spilled items. Then the footsteps came back.

I then frantically felt around until I came in contact with what felt like a large tube. I picked it up and pressed the button on its side, a strong light then began to beam.

I turned in the direction of the flashlight. Then almost dropped it from the sight I saw. How was this possible?