Chapter 10

Hopefully this change will be good for me, after all, this is an experience, an adventure of new emotions. I wonder what else I'd be able to feel.

These thoughts brought a slight layer of fear over me; I knew I had to be careful. And I'm certainly not trying to act as if everything will be different, because it won't, but talking to someone shouldn't do me too much harm.

At the moment, Robyn is the only friend I have, and I think its time I socialized a little more. If I regret it, or feel myself becoming emotionally attached, I can stop, I can always quit and go back to being within my own comfort. But maybe dipping my toes in a new adventure will be good for me?

"So, how long have you and Robyn known each other?" Jay looks up, catching my eyes once more. I glance at him, trying to comprehend the words he spoke.

"Since we were ten, it feels like forever though." I answered, my nerves sweeping through my body like a gust of wind on a chilly evening.

"Kinda the opposite for me, I dont remember much, just glimpses. The three of us used to hang out every day, but it was mainly just Will and Robyn." He chuckled, his eyes zoning out slightly, reliving old memories.

"How old is Will?" My curiosity spoke for me.

"Just under two years older than me, and he loves to remind me." He smiled, rolling his eyes at the end of his sentence, I mostly forgot their argument, and now I regretted bringing his name up.

I broke eye contact, already feeling my throat swell at my idiocy. People might think I was overreacting, but I hardly talk to anyone new, unless I have to, so this is all unusual for me.

We moved up slightly closer to the front of the queue, Jays eyes stayed locked on mine, even as I ducked my head to avoid his gaze.

"You okay?" He asked softly, almost seeming uncomfortable himself at the tone he was using. His voice was calming, steady and most of all caring. It eased my tense muscles slightly as I worked up the courage to speak.

"Yeah, just a little tired, stressful morning as you might have gathered." I forced a smile, trying to sell my lie convincingly.

"Hmm, no, honestly I have no idea what you mean." The sarcasm dripped from his mouth, a large smile ghosting his lips as he shook his head humorously.

I couldn't help but mimic his expression, my lips upturned, and a slight snicker escaped them before I could grasp onto it.

Jays eyes seemed to light up at the sound, and I hadn't even registered the moments we had been gazing at each other for, at least, not until the gracious dinner lady spoke up from behind the counter.

"Next." They stated, quite loudly in my opinion, I don't think this women liked teenagers unfocused or 'holding up her queue'.

Jay gave me one last charming smirk before turning around towards the scowling lady. I stood behind him around a metre a way, giving the both of us some space.

I hadn't been paying much attention, but when Jay turned around he had two sandwiches and two small-sized bottles of water covering the tray in his hand.

A feeling appeared in the back of my mind that the two sets of food and drinks weren't just for him, but who was I to think that someone would actually pay for my meals – especially someone I've hardly spoken to.

We sat back down in the same seats we had initially moved from, facing each other once again. Before I could open my mouth to take a breath, Jay placed one of the bottles in front of me.

"Okay so, I didnt know whether you wanted any food or not, but in case you did I got a spare sandwich." He spoke thoughtfully, I couldn't quite decipher what he had just told me, but I was too scared to accept.