break up prank

Your name was on the tip of Ningning's tongue as she walked through the door, only for her to almost stumble over the bags you had packed and ready to go by the door.

"Whoa," she mumbled. "Y/N?"

She heard your feet on the stairs and there was a rush of worry that came over her as she saw you carrying a duffle bag over your shoulder.

"So, are you going somewhere?" She joked as you reached the last step, walking right past her to put the bag down by the others.

"Y/N?" She frowned over how unusually quiet you seemed to be. "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

You turned around with a sigh and shrugged your shoulders.

"Tell me what's going on."

"Ningning," you paused as you looked from her worried gaze and down your sock-covered feet then back up at her. "I'm leaving."

"Obviously." She chuckled and although she tried to mask her worry, her chuckle was more of a nervous one than anything else.

"Ningning, I'm being serious." You said. "I'm leaving... because I think we need to break up."

Her heart sank, dropping deep into her chest.

She didn't say a word or even move for a moment as she let your words sink in.

"I don't understand. Why would you want to do that? Everything is perfect between us. We're happy... right?"

She felt tears stinging her eyes and her heart was breaking in her chest, causing a physical ache like she's never felt before.

"Of course I'm happy, Ningning."

"Then why would you want to leave me?" She asked as a tear fell down her cheek. "I need you, y/n. You know that I wouldn't be able to make it through a single day without you. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Then don't go!" She yelled through her tears. "Tell me what I did wrong."

"It's not you, Ningning."

She hung her head with a whimper falling from her lips.

"Tell me why. Please." She begged.

You closed your eyes with a sigh and turned around to grab your bags, only to feel Ningning's arms wrap around you tightly.

She had her chest against your back, holding you so close and so tight that you couldn't escape her grip, which was her intention.

"Don't go." She cried. "Please. I love you. I'm not letting you go."

You didn't care about keeping the prank up anymore. You can't handle knowing how heartbroken she is, how scared she feels when it comes to losing you.

"Shh, Ningning," you whispered as you turned around and pulled her to your chest. "Okay, it's okay. I'm not leaving."

"You swear it?" She mumbled as she pulled back, staring at you with hopeful but teary eyes.

"Ningning, it was just a prank."

She looked at you in shock.

"I promise I'm never leaving you."

"You scared me." She mumbled.

"I know. I'm so sorry."

"Don't ever do that again." She spoke softly and you cracked a small smile, agreeing immediately.

"I love you." You said as you hugged her tightly and kissed across her face until she smiled.

"I love you too, y/n."