Chapter 4

Jiang Cheng was sitting on his bed and looking down at a kneeling Wei Ying. They have been past the point when Jiang Cheng would have his brother only waiting for him, now Wei Ying would do anything Jiang Cheng told him to. Even kneeling down in front of him after having had knelt for hours in the Ancestral hall already. He was an obedient puppet, just as Jiang Cheng had always wanted him to be.

He frowned when Wei Ying squirmed in place, looking uncomfortable. Although Jiang Cheng had ordered him to stay still, he was disobeying. So perhaps he still had some ways to go to become the obedient slave Jiang Cheng wanted. He did not like that, he would not tolerate disobedience.

Wei Ying's eyes looked up despite being told to keep his head down and he asked in a pleading voice: "Little brother, please... my legs hurt..."

Jiang Cheng had seen enough. Almost unconsciously, his right hand moved on its own, slapping Wei Ying on the side of his face. The boy had not expected to be hit and he staggered, having to support himself with one hand on the ground. That was it, Jiang Cheng flew into a fury. Why could Wei Ying not listen to him even in this easy assignment? He would have to teach him better after all.

He shot up onto his legs, startling Wei Ying who gasped on the ground, still looking at him. Jiang Cheng lifted his foot and stomped with all his might on the boy's hand which was on the ground. Wei Ying yelped in pain, only a small sound, by now he knew better than to scream on the top of his lungs, and he quickly retracted the hurting hand close to his chest, curling protectively around it. Jiang Cheng liked that reaction.

"Kneel properly!" he ordered and the boy immediately straitened himself, trembling and silently sobbing from the looks of it, his shoulders were shaking irregularly as he was gasping for breath and struggling to not let out any sound. His hand was still cradled on his chest and Jiang Cheng could see the imprint of his boot's sole on it. he was sure it would be badly bruised tomorrow. However, he also knew that the golden core which Wei Ying had formed just a few days prior would help with his recovery.

He loathed that fact strongly. Both because he himself still did not have a golden core even though all of the disciples of the same age had – except for Wei Ying who had only started his cultivation training a year prior – and because the boy had been praised for that by his father.

Jiang Cheng could not even remember anymore when had been the last time Jiang Fengmian paid attention to him, helped him with his training or praised him for his achievements and the effort he was putting into everything he was doing. And then there was Wei Ying, the little intruder into their family, whom Jiang Fengmian loved apparently more than his own son. The boy who now received all of his father's attention and acknowledgment. The boy who was a genius and who was without even trying way better than Jiang Cheng.

Yu Ziyuan had also been angry about this fact and Jiang Cheng did not even have to cause trouble or tell her about Wei Ying's misdeeds for her to punish him nearly every day. And he often used that fact when teaching the boy to obey him. He would often threaten he would tell his mother that Wei Ying had not been obedient enough and his mother would have him whipped. That always worked.

Still, Jiang Cheng did not like to use this tactic, he wanted Wei Ying to listen to him of his own free will. While he had not been too rough with the boy yet, only having him show him the whip marks after his punishment so he would be able to trace them and poke into them, he knew that he himself could not mark Wei Ying like that. He could not truly make the boy his. Even if he asked his mother to lend him Zidian, he would not have been able to wield it. He was too weak for that, and he was also still lacking a golden core.

He looked down at Wei Ying and immediately felt even angrier, if it was with himself or with the boy, he was not sure. The one thing he was certain of was that he wanted to do something to let his anger out. Just like his mother always did when she summoned Wei Ying for punishment. Yes, Jiang Cheng could do exactly the same.

He could hurt the boy and then offer comfort while still strengthening his distrust in the other family members. By now, Wei Ying was so afraid of seeking comfort anywhere else but by Jiang Cheng's side that he pretended like everything was alright in front of everyone else, giving them that false bright smile of his. It never stopped infuriating the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir.

Almost tentatively, Jiang Cheng lifted one of his legs and kicked Wei Ying. It was not a very strong kick at all but the boy whimpered under his breath, partly in surprise, Jiang Cheng was sure of that, he had known far worse at the hands of his mother. The boy swayed in place but it only took him a second to find his bearing and straighten again. He never looked at Jiang Cheng. That was good, something was purring happily inside the Yunmeng Jiang sect heir's chest.

Satisfied with the result, he continued kicking Wei Ying mercilessly until the boy could not keep himself upright anymore. Wei Ying was now curled on the ground, protecting his belly and head from the rain of kicks. He was whimpering more and more until he went completely silent and still. Jiang Cheng gave him one last kick for the good measure and then stopped his assault.

He looked down at the unconscious Wei Ying, admiring his work. There was a little blood on Wei Ying's lower lip and Jiang Cheng kneeled beside him and gently wiped it away. He held Wei Ying's face in his hands for a second longer, the boy looked almost peaceful now and Jiang Cheng was wondering how he could be like this when his whole life only consists of pain and getting comfort from one person only, moreover if that one person asked so much in return.

He laid his brother back on the ground, resisting the urge to tear away his robes and have a look at the bruises he had just caused. But it was way too soon now, the colourful paintwork would take a bit longer to appear.

Be it as may, until then, he could at least comfort the boy. Wei Ying must have surely been shocked since this was one of the rare times that Jiang Cheng truly hurt him personally. Jiang Cheng sneered, the boy did not even know what was in store for him in the future. Now that Jiang Cheng knew that Wei Ying would not resist any treatment from his hands, he could finally do what he had always wanted, and that was punishing the boy for ruining his peaceful days and his family.

Jiang Cheng went to his table and picked up a cup which he filled with water. He came back to Wei Ying and gently took up his head again, putting the cup to his lips. The boy stirred a bit and took a sip. Jiang Cheng quickly schooled his expression when Wei Ying opened his eyes, immediately searching for Jiang Cheng.

As soon as he saw him, he smiled and whispered, his voice full of pain and gratitude, a curious mix really: "Little Brother, I am happy you are here."

Before Jiang Cheng could react in any way, Wei Ying's eyes did the strangest thing and sort of turned upwards until there was no more colour to be seen in them, only white. Then they closed again, leaving Jiang Cheng inexplicably spooked.

He decided to not think about this and instead, to occupy his mind with something more fun. He got rid of Wei Ying's clothes and laid him back on the ground, leaving only the boy's head in his lap. He started gently stroking the other's hair while waiting for the colourful bruises to finally appear and for his brother to open his eyes and look at him again.