Escape

In the morning, the Synthetics took turns taking you to the bathroom and the showers. You were then offered breakfast consisting of mutant fruit and a pasty substance that was unknown to you. Nick was sitting on the bed with you, eating with a grimace. You glanced at him between two mouthfuls of fruit.

- You don't like it?

He swallowed and shrugged his shoulders.

- I must admit that having to eat, drink and go to the bathroom is a handicap. My old body didn't have as many needs.

You watched him for a moment.

- When this is all over, are you going to go back to your old Synthetic body?

He paused as he was about to took another bite of mutant fruit. You suddenly realized the impact of your question.

- I... I mean... It's your choice. I wouldn't ask you to...

He looked at you and smiled a little.

- I know doll... But it's all thought out. I miss my old body because it's familiar and practical... But with this body...

He took your hand and put it on his chest.

- I can feel your warmth and the softness of your skin...

He stroked the top of your hand as you blushed. He looked away and cleared his throat, letting go of your hand.

- Well... sorry, that was... a bit cheesy...

Your hand withdrew from his chest to touch his cheek, offering him your most tender smile. He met your eyes and blushed a little before sighing and putting his hand on yours, closing his eyes.

- You are really beautiful you know... I don't know how you could fall for an old private like me... Someone as extraordinary as you...

- Nick... You-

You didn't have time to finish your sentence when an aggressive alarm started to blast. You quickly got up from the bed, full of hope.

- Did Deacon did it ?!

- We'll have to wait fifteen minutes to find out...

You then both stood on either side of the only door and began to wait.

The alarm screamed for a long time, which seemed like an eternity, and then suddenly you heard footsteps running outside. It was with great relief that you saw the door open. You could see many people crossing the corridor, scientists and patients alike. You poked your head into the hallway cautiously. A Synthetic armed with a laser rifle from the institute seemed to be checking the open cells as they moved down the hall. You took your place against the wall and motioned to Nick to remain silent. The Synthetic arrived at your cell and entered, you then bent down and slammed his legs with yours, sending him to his back. The weapon in his hand went flying through the air before landing in yours. You shot him in the head before he had a chance to get up. The detective looked at you with round eyes but an amused smile. You gave him a smirk.

- Just in case someone wants to get in our way

You searched the Synthetic on the ground to find ammunition, which you immediatly use to reload the weapon.

- Let's go...