In the fire

Despite the chaos that reigned, you remained cautious, avoiding being seen by the Synthetics. The smoke was beginning to fill the hallways and your lungs responded, coughing profusely and your eyes stung. You glanced at Nick, you knew he wasn't used to a human body anymore. He kept a hand to his face, covering his nose and mouth. When he noticed your concern he gave you a thumbs up to let you know he was okay.

As you turned down a hallway, still following the evacuators, you heard a growl from a room. Despite the situation you couldn't leave anyone behind and headed for it. Nick followed you uncertainly.

- What are you doing?

- I heard someone!

You stopped dead in front of an explosion of flame coming straight out of a room you were about to pass. Any more and you would have been roasted. The grunts of pain were much more distinctive and you could spot the origin quickly. You walked towards what appeared to be a cafeteria, half of it on fire. You squealed as you recognized Deacon lying on the floor.

- DEACON!

You lunged forward but Nick's steady hands on your shoulders prevented you from being crushed by a part of the roof that came crashing down in front of you.

- NO! DEACON!

You could still see your friend's body through the fire and the pieces of metal that blocked your path. Passage was possible but far too risky. You let out a groan, your eyes quickly scanning the surroundings hoping to find a desperate solution. It was then that Nick turned you to him. You met his eyes and your heart clenched in your chest, guessing what he was going to do.

- Nick... N-

He kissed you. It was a brief but passionate kiss. The detective immediately leapt into the flames. You turned to shout his name but only the roar of the flames answered you. Then a heavy coughing, courtesy from smoking, took you by surprise. You were running out of oxygen and you knew you had to get out quickly. Reluctantly, your legs led you outside where you immediately fell to your hands and knees on the concrete floor.

Outside, the members of the railroad had surrounded the scientists and the patients were being examined by Dr. Carrington. Many Synthetics were lying on the ground, their parts scattered everywhere.

Desdemona joins you to help you up.

- (Code name)... Where are Valentine and Deacon?

You burst into tears, turning your back to her. Your eyes blurred by tears stared at the entrance from which you had escaped, hoping to see a sign of life. Desdemona put a hand on your shoulder as an empathetic gesture. She closed her eyes for a moment before speaking.

- Today is a day when we have won another victory against the Institute.

She turned away from you to face the railroad's members and the scientists.

- But it is also the day we lost the best detective in the Commonwealth and the best railroad agent I have ever seen. We will honor their sacrifice-

- I had chosen cremation but I think I changed my mind...

All heads turned to a manhole where Deacon emerged, an amused smile on his lips. He bent down to help Nick out. The detective coughed deeply and sighed.

- I think all this has disgust me from the taste of cigarettes

- NICK!

You ran to him and hugged him, almost knocking him over in your tracks. He didn't wait before kissing you. You could still feel your hot tears running down your cheeks, but they were tears of joy and relief. Desdemona was surprised for a moment before smiling.

- Well, Deacon... I should have known you wouldn't be killed so easily.

- ...No!

He put a hand on his hip and pointed to Nick with his free hand.

- Valentine saved me from the flames! And I thought he hated me.

Nick stopped your kiss to look at him.

- Don't get your hopes up Deacon, I did it for (Your name).

Deacon put a hand to his heart and looked exaggeratedly sad.

- Ow... I'm heartbroken...

You pulled yourself out of Nick's embrace to come and hug Deacon.

- I'm glad you're okay.

The spy was suddenly embarrassed by this display of affection in front of so many people. He just patted the top of your head and smiled. Desdemona looked at Nick, who quickly pulled you back against him when you let go of Deacon.

- Nick Valentine I presume...

The Synthetic nodded. She smiled.

- I can't wait to see your report on this mission Deacon.

- Trust me! This time I won't have to lie to make this whole adventure more interesting!