Cliques and Soccer

Chapter 9 - Cliques and Soccer

Slowly stuffing my giant blue backpack inside the gray lockers, I grab my brown paper lunch bag and slam my locker shut. The sound echoes through the empty hall. I make my way to the cafeteria. Opening the giant doors I gaze into the packed room.

You can clearly distinguish the different cliques this way.

The jocks and cheerleaders in the middle, the nerds in the back, the emo kids in the shadowy corner by the trash cans, and all the different ethnicity groups sitting together.

The closer I look the better I see the tables. The jocks and cheerleaders' are sparkling. You can clearly distinguish the colors. Blue and grey. The rest of them are dull colored, rust coating the legs. The benches are bent in weird ways.

Sighing, I scan the room. Looking for somewhere to sit.

People see me. But they place their bags next to them, covering the empty spaces. Making it very obvious that they don't want me to sit there.

I roll my eyes. Rude.

I scan the area one more time. A loud laugh fills my ears. I look for the source. Seeing a familiar face, he catches my gaze. Drama Queen, oh! I mean Jaxon, taps his shoulder. He gives me one last look of pity then turns back to the conversation.

I turn and walk out of the cafeteria, suddenly feeling suffocated. Maybe I'll find a seat outside.

Opening the doors I make my way to a shaded area. A big oak tree covers the area, providing the grass some shade. I sit under the tree praying there is no poop or pee.

What? It's not the first time I've sat on dog poop. . .or pee.

I look around the area seeing a few students sitting out in the shade talking with their friends. Laughs fill my ears. I look down. Feeling very lonely.

Opening my lunch bag I pull out a ham and cheese sandwich from the cafe.

Taking a bite I savor the taste. I quietly sit eating my sandwich.

"ELAINE!!!" A voice squeals. "WANNA PLAY?!" I look over to the owner of the voice. Seeing a more friendly face.

I smile and wave. I look over to her foot, which is holding a soccer ball in place.

"I'm okay!" I call back.

"Are you sure?" She asks once more. She gives me this hopeful look. Then I realize she is playing alone. No one else is on the field with her.

I frown at that. "Alright! Fine, I'll play!" I give in.

Throwing my remains of lunch out I make my way over to her. "Just so you know I'm not good at soccer. I've only played once." I inform her.

She chuckles, "That's alright. We can just pass the ball for now."

---

The bell rings. South reaches her hand down to help me up. The ball hit my shins three times and I almost face planted seven times from running away from the ball. I've been laying sprawled out on the field for a few minutes. Sweat dripping down my face, back, and places I don't want to mention.

"Come on! Class is going to start soon!" She pulls me up and jogs to the cart to return the ball.

Together we walk back into the school.

I think I just made my first friend!

Hi!

So I finally updated. . .I'll be updating more frequently now. Hopefully twice a week now.

Sorry it's so short. I was gonna continue writing after school but then I watched Black Widow with my family for the first time. So it got delayed.

Anyway! Thank you for your patience.

Stay safe!