Seven <Why Now?>

"The worst of my fears has come true, what I've dreaded most has happened. My repose is shattered, my peace destroyed. No rest for me, ever-death has invaded life." --Job 3:25-‬26 (MSG)

β

"Hey, you."

Godswill called out as he opened the driver's door and folded himself into his seat. It was Sunday and he had given Fola his car key so she could wait in the car for him. Fola had the passenger seat reclined and she had had her eyes shut which fluttered open when he called out a greeting.

"You look great. Very nice," he added. Fola was wearing a beige trouser suit with brown camisole and nude-coloured stilettos. He had seen her when she made her way into the auditorium that morning and he had been blown away. He had almost seen her as a model moving effortlessly down a runway. How does she make every outfit look great?

"Hey, Bro Godswill. You look great yourself," she replied as she eyed his navy blue trousers, the sparkling white shirt he had rolled to his elbow and his navy blue Parsley tie. "Were you going for the Obama look?"

I believe I'm more handsome than Obama but I'll keep that to myself.

He rolled his eyes at her. "Thanks. But when will this Bro Godswill thing stop?"

"I don't know. You started it. I don't think you should be complaining. Uhm?" She answered with a too sweet glare in his direction. She sat up as she adjusted the seat back into its proper position.

"Hey, Mr Efe. Happy Sunday."

Godswill turned to the direction where the greetings came from only to see his department members winking and smiling mischievously at him. He knew what they were thinking and he just laughed before returning their greeting and shutting the door.

"I think we should leave now."

"I can see why," Fola replied as she looked out through the side mirror to see a look of triumph on their faces. Triumph at what though, she didn't know.

"You're very popular in church. Everyone knows you."

"That's just an exaggeration, you know. I think every steward knows almost everyone. We were taught to treat each other like family. So... "

"Hmmmm. I see."

Godswill just shook his head as he drove towards the church exit.

"So, what are we having for lunch?"

"It's a surprise."

"What surprise? Won't I know by the time I see the ingredients?"

"Maybe, maybe not."

"Psssh."

Godswill sent her a glance. "You seem to know the sounds of various objects. Tch, pffft, and now psssh. Well done."

"Go away."

"I know you don't mean that. Besides, if I go away right now, I'd have to drop you off by the side of the road. We don't want that now, do we?" He smirked.

Fola just stuck her tongue out at him and looked out the window. "Let's pick up something to munch on. The zoo animals in my tummy are beginning to growl and snarl at me. They can't wait for lunch."

"Sure. We have to feed the zoo if we don't want you making strange animal noises. I made a batch of cookies and cupcakes two days ago. They should do while we cook."

"Okay."

Her phone rang and Godswill could decipher that it was Vwede. After a moment, Fola dropped her phone.