If I Fell

John lazily strummed a random chord on his guitar. He looked to his left at Paul, who was seated next to him on the wooden park bench. After band practice the previous night, they had agreed to meet here so they could write some songs together.

"What note was that?" Paul asked, grabbing his guitar out of the case next to him.

"An A," John replied, casually. He played around with the chord, plucking a nice rhythm.

Paul strummed his own guitar and began to play a couple of chords that soon turned into a lovely melody. He played it over and over with slight variations each time, trying to get a feel for the song. John noticed him mouthing words to himself.

"Whatcha workin on, McCartney?" John asked, an intrigued look on his face. He had assumed that Paul was a good writer based on the songs he had played for him last night, and he was interested in hearing more of his works.

"A song I've been working on," Paul stopped playing and looked up to meet Johns gaze.

"Well, you gonna play it for me then?"

Paul nodded and continued to play the riff he had been working on. He played that a couple times until he started singing:

"Well she was just seventeen
A real beauty queen
And the way she looked
Was way beyond compare

How could I dance with another
Oooooooo
When I saw her standing there"
Paul stopped playing and sat his guitar in his lap. He looked up at John for his reaction.

John just nodded at him and bit his lip. He thought for a moment. "It's good... I don't think the second line really fits, though," John noticed a slightly disappointed expression cross Pauls face. "Uh, no offense or anything,"He quickly added.

"No no, it's fine. I wasn't quite sure about it myself," Paul admitted, scratching his head.

"Well, what if you did something like," John picked up his guitar and mimicked the riff Paul was playing earlier. "Well she was just seventeen, you know what I mean."

Paul cocked his head to the side and stared at John for a couple seconds with a puzzled expression on his face. "But I don't know what you mean."

"Lyrics don't have to make sense, Paul. They just have to sound good, goo-goo-g'joob." John said with a smug smile.

Paul laughed a little and shook his head as he picked up his guitar again. "You're daft, you are."

"Only for you, my darling." John fluttered his eyelashes at the boy, making him laugh more.

"Whatever you say, Johnny."

John grinned and played a few more chords on his guitar, trying to figure out a good rhythm. "What if for the next verse," John said, staring at his guitar. "It went something like:

Well she looked at me
And I, I could see
That before too long-"

John was suddenly cut off when Paul chimed in with, "-I'd fall in love with her"

"I wasn't exactly going for a sweet love song, Paul," John commented, laughing a bit.

"I like writing sappy love songs,they're nice," Paul admitted.

"Cheesy git," John chuckled a little before continuing the song.

"She wouldn't dance with another
Ooooooo
When I saw her standing there"

For a while, the pair went back and forth with their own lyrics until they had written a full song.

"Yeah, well, since I saw her standing there" Paul finished off the song and looked over at John. "How does that last verse sound?"