Chapter 2: Felix

It was a very cold night but he did not mind this. When he returned home, he saw his mother fast asleep on the couch in front of the TV. He shook his head and smiled. His mother was waiting for her only child to return home but she could not help with all her might but fall asleep. He softly tapped his mother's shoulder, who suddenly woke up. She smiled to see her son safe and sound though she hit him on the head. He groaned with pain.

"Why didn't you tell me you would return late?" she scowled

"Sorry, ma"

"Dinners in the fridge, warm it and we can eat it together"

Though he was not hungry, he did what his mother had asked him to do. It was far too late to have dinner but for these two it was mandatory. The meal was the most delicious pork stew and rice it was one of his favourite meals that took a long time to prepare no wonder his mother was sleeping on the Couch. After dinner, his mother offered to wash the dishes but Felix denied her offer and ordered her to go to sleep.

Felix did not have a lot in his entire lifetime, he only had his mother. He loved her more than his own life, he would do anything for her. Felix once had a dad but one day he went to go for a drink and never returned. After his sudden depature, his mother was shattered and distressed, she tried to be strong for her son; however, the pain would prove to be too much for her to bear, she would cry in front of her son. She really was ashamed of herself for not being the strong pillar that Felix needed at that time, from that day, Felix vowed to take care of his mother and make a comfortable life for his mother. After all, he didn't just leave his mother but him as well. All the kids from his school made fun of him for not having a dad and that made him hate him even more. It's not like his father was a good one anyway, he was always drunk and came home late smelling of perfume, he had no job and was living off his "wife's" savings from work. He remembered hearing his parent's arguments about everything, the yelling and destruction. 

He woke up stiff and tired but not enough to go sleep so he woke up in his small bedroom which he had outgrown. He had to stay there for the time being because he could not afford an apartment of his own, and did not want to be too far from his mother. His mother was already off to work long before he awoke. She had left some breakfast that she made earlier that morning. Oats and fruits, he ate them quickly because he had a plan of his own that day.

Just like Autumn, he enjoyed taking pictures for inspiration. He quickly got dressed and left locking the door. He went to the busiest part of town and watched as the busy cars went by, now and then he would take pictures of the cars or people. He walked down the streets looking around. He had not been home for a while.

Four years ago............

"Felix, come now!"

"Mom, what's the problem, are you ok?"

His mother's smile was so big it almost looked animated, she started to cry

"You got the scholarship, you're going to your dream school"

Felix was shocked he could not believe it himself, he worked so hard for this to happen and now the day had come and he could go and fulfill his dream. At first, when he wanted to apply to the university, his mother looked down and bared down the truth that she could not afford it, she was just owned a small store. Felix disappointed, smiled at his mother and said to his mother that had not to need to worry and that he would make her proud.

Felix was walking down the street, in the direction of his mother's store. When he arrived, his mother was cross with her son. It was a cold day and her son had decided that it be a good day to go walking taking pictures. She shook her head in disapproval of her son's choice. He walked and hugged his mother to try and soften the blow of the scolding. As punishment, she made her son work while she took a bit of a break.

She was always told that her son was very handsome and that she must be careful that he does not bring a girl with bad intentions but his mother trusted his son would choose wisely. She took pride in her son, He had grown into quite a good man and trusted his judgment, though she refused to admit that to his face.

This Saturday the shop had an incredibly busy this afternoon. So Felix had a handful of customers, those who remembered him would greet him. The little break took a lengthy turn till it was time to close the shop. The mother was happy to have him around because during his varsity years he could not return home because the flight was often too copious to pay. The only contact they had was a video call.

They drove home together in their tiny old car, which the mother just paid off and was happy to see her son driving it. When they arrived home both of them were too tired to cook so they ordered take-outs and had them delivered. They watched a movie together and soon his mother was fast asleep on the couch, soon after he could feel himself fall asleep on the couch.

The next morning he's mom was gone but he found a blanket over him, that wasn't there yesterday. He got up and decided to edit some of the pictures he took, avoiding going outside. He drank some strong coffee and went straight to work. Five hours later, still working on the pictures, he grew tired and decided to make some lunch. Knowing that it was Sunday he's mom would come home early, Felix cooked a meal for his mother. He watched a movie and went back to working on the pictures A few hours later his mother came back home tired; she smiled as the aroma of the food filled the room. His mom was as hungry as she was tired, she called Felix. Felix just finished editing his picture smiled. They ate dinner that cold autumn night, both of them felt warm and cosy. His mother decided to turn in early – which she rarely did, soon followed by Felix, went to bed.

6:30, his alarm woke him up, he wasn't used to waking up early anymore. Rushing down the stairs, he was late again, he walked out into the cold air. He was walking up the street when he saw Autumn walking in the far distance and smiled. He ran quickly to her side and looked at her.

"Morning," said Autumn

"Hello," said Felix

Both of them walked very slowly to the building, though time didn't matter they needed to get work done. It was a very quiet morning for the both of them, both too focused to pay attention to each other

Later in the afternoon, needing a break, Felix was the first to break the silence

"Ok, that's it we're going to a café, "said Felix pulling Autumn's arm out of the door.

"All, you had to do is ask." Said Autumn shook" Can we eat pizza instead"

"I don't care, as long as it isn't it here," he said

They walked to a pizzeria, they walked through the door to find Carly working, the restaurant was packed that afternoon. They took the last remaining seats and decided to share a pizza, as they waited for the occupied waitresses, there was a silence shared between the two. Finally they managed to find seating.

In the distance someone stare