The Delivery

When I told that girl that we would bring the rest of the latte to her, I was meaning for Seung Ho. But we have a line of distress Monday, white-collar workers. Since he is the better barista, and the others we employ are busy as well, I decide to carry the box by myself.

Also, maybe take a peek at who's the grumpy boss man of J-One. In case, if he stops by our cafe, I could thank him in person and introduce myself. See if he isn't as bad as told, and eventually, will offer a spot for me to lease in his building.

I wonder how he would like though. Sure he is a loaded man but of a game developer company. Although it's just a social stigma, there are problematic gamers who spend too much time playing games, ignoring social life. I mean, get the idea, he is the boss of those gamers.

To which category he falls? Or maybe, he is my father's age. Unwinding a stage where if someone says one plus one is seven, he would have no problem with that.

My nonsense thoughts are interrupted when I get to step into the elevator and press the level button. Which level? Hmmm...I'm alone here with nobody to ask at which level the CEO usually holds a meeting.

It's a multi-purpose office building in Gangnam where national corporate giants lease some workspace. I spot J-One's logo from level 21 to 25. I try to recall it but my brain refuses to cooperate. But I feel lucky today, so randomly I press 22.

As the elevator's door opens, I see her- the girl who has ordered these lattes. She looks a bit uneasy, pushing a smile, and leads me to a frost glass door. Mouthing thanks and taking the box over my hands, she pushes the door with her back, and I help her holding it.

That's when I get to spot the broad shoulders of a man in a suit who is facing a giant screen showing a black screen with red and green small codes, with smaller tabs showing a visual of moving game characters. His voice is deep, but somehow, so mesmerizing I kinda forget that he may be the boss who is ranting to thirty people in front of him.

I am sure the door isn't even cracking, but he stops talking, and turns his back, looking for the source that bugs his attention. I've been wondering what does he look like the entire time I walk from Deja Brew to here. So of course, of course, I can't stop myself to steal a glance at him.

Oh. My. God.

It's him. It's freaking HIM.

Mr. Dimples. Zinu. Or whatever the fuck his name is. Err... Yoo Jin Woo? if that really was his credit card paying the coffee bills.

Abruptly I close let go of my hand off the door and turn my back. I walk away as fast as I can, finding my way back to the elevator. To Deja Brew my comfort place across the street. Not here. Not here. Definitely not here.

I hyperventilate as I enter the elevator and with a trembling finger, I press the ground level button. I wipe the cold sweat on my forehead, taking a deep breath, trying to control back the rhythm of my heartbeat.

I'm experienced enough that a casual hookup attempt doesn't always work, but I'm not sure about this one. I barely even thought about that Friday night since Saturday morning, but on this Monday morning when I thought I have enough luck on my hand, I can't deny myself that I'm totally still affected by him.

Like bad luck hunting me back.

But the universe gives me a confirmation too fast. Way too fast! Suddenly the light goes out, the elevator stops, and when I'm not yet able to figure out what is happening now, I smell smoke creeping inside the elevator.

Panic? Of course I am! Blindly I palpate the buttons, looking for the emergency bell button. Have it found, panicky I press, again and again. There is a 'ding' sound, and I stop. Quiet, and wait.