The Ride

Author's Note : the artwork above belongs to @ishssi (Thanks so much!) Please do not use or repost without permission.
© 2021. Ishssi. All rights reserved.

Yoo Jin Woo arrives at my room faster than I expected, looking handsome wearing a brown coat with a light grey top under it. Is this how he looks every day at work? I think I've been underestimating the guys who are good at tech thingy, and this guy just has proved me wrong.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask nervously.

"It's safe unless your brother can pick you up now."

I shake my head, "I've texted him and he finally replied, a simple 'K'."

"Guess he's just so occupied with orders. Where is your bag?" he opens the bedside drawer.

"Only this handbag," I carry a medium size tote bag on my arm, and it's enough for everything I need for a night.

From five steps away, he observes me from top to toe. I'm wearing Chae Yoon's dress and a pair of flat shoes she brought me last night. It's a simple sleeveless dress, falls just above my knee. We have similar figures and wear the same size for almost everything.

I think I look okay, but he asks, "do you have a coat?"

"A coat? No. Why?"

All of a sudden he takes his coat off and hands it to me. "Please wear this, at least until we get inside the car."

Why? I turn around to the window and see the sky is grey, with thick darker clouds. Maybe the air is chilly, but it's not raining yet. He doesn't have to do this.

"It's quite chilly outside. I just think that it will be better if you put an extra layer."

"I'll be fine."

But he steps closer, way too close I almost take a step back. He put the coat over my shoulder like a cape. "It's clean, and there are people from media outside, I just don't want them to..." he pauses, "just put it on, and you can thank me later."

I'm not in the mood for a debate with anyone so I stop asking and slide my arms into the coat. Before he pushes the door open, he glances at me, "ready?"

I nod, and he pushes the door for me. We stop at the nurse station. He tells the nurse that patient Yoon Jin Ah is leaving with him. She asks him to sign the check-out papers then she confirms that the other administrative stuff has been settled, so I'm clear to go.

"So is that true, about what they said on the internet?" she sneakily asks.

Jin Woo responds casually, "what did they say?"

She grins, "don't mind me, but indeed, you two look cute together."

He only smiles politely at her. I have no idea whether he finds it annoying or not, to get such a comment. There are three younger nurses at the back, murmuring while so blatantly staring at us. Bet it's us that they're talking about. I become nervous, and I don't know where to look at.

We take the elevator, and it's only us alone inside. He asks, "are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I'm just wondering if you will avoid the elevator after yesterday."

"No, all is good here," why does he seem to always worry about me? Does he feel that guilty?

"My car is parked right in front of the entrance, but we need to walk through the main lobby. We're lucky if nobody recognizes us. There are people from the media, but even some random people like to take pictures with their cellphone. Just look down if it's uncomfortable for you."