ONE

nina salazar-roberts pretentiously strutted her way through the hallways of east high. with her head held high and her pony tail higher, she was full of pride.

or full of shit as her classmates would say.

she effortlessly opened her locker, delicately placing her books inside before re-applying her shimmering lip gloss in the mirror. as she admired herself she caught a glance of her ex-best friends in the reflection. the girl theatrically rolled her eyes and slammed her locker shut before walking away.

nina hadn't always been the snobby, high-class bitch of east high. years prior she was a nobody. a weak freshman who was welcomed by a large friend group that she took part of for almost three years.

until they kicked her out.

the end of their junior year was rapidly approaching meaning more group activities were planned, most excluding nina. group chats were bursting with text, especially the one without nina included. she was involuntarily becoming a stranger to her closest friends.

the first week of summer was her breaking point. ashlyn had decided to throw a party to kick off their summer, inviting the entire school

excluding nina.

her "friends" had once again made a fool out of her and she was sick of it. storming into ashlyn's house crowded with drunkened teenagers who were either dry heaving into a vase, getting higher than the clouds, or awkwardly grinding against each other on the dance floor, nina didn't let any of it cloud her vision. she quickly spotted ashlyn and the rest of the gang huddled near the pool. the girl shoved her way through the bustling crowd, undoubtedly earning nasty looks from many of her classmates but she didn't care.

"nice party, ash."

the red-head looked up at the sound of her name, laughing as she realized who the voice belonged to. "thanks neens, sorry i forgot to invite you."

"oh, so you guys must've forgotten to invite me the last time y'all hung out too? and the time before.. and before that.. and, well i think you get the point." nina bitterly replied.

ashlyn lit the joint in the her hand, deeply inhaling and exhaling it's contents as her shoulders visibly relaxed. "if you haven't caught on yet, we don't like you anymore nina. you know what you did" ashlyn said as she passed the lighter to gina.

filled with rage, nina swiftly shoved ashlyn with the intent to knock the red-head into the pool, she instead ended up pushing her into gina who had been mindlessly fiddling with the lighter.

falling into the lighter's flames ashlyn's long, curly hair quickly caught fire.

"shit!" gina screamed as she watched the flames spread across the girl's hair. red, ashlyn's boyfriend, quickly pushed his burning girlfriend into the pool to extinguish the flames.

"what the fuck nina!" ashlyn cursed as she floated at the surface.

nina simply shrugged and flipped the girl off as she turned away.

she quickly made her way through the house filled with teenagers once again, this time with a pep in her step and as she exited the house she couldn't help the small giggle that escaped her lips.